Blackheart Killer Ant: TOO QUIET!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dayn, Oct 8, 2008.

1. dayn

dayn Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Just bought one and I dig the tone.

I threw 4 guitars (hum and p90 LP's, Parker Fly, and 64 Fender Duosonic) at it through 2 cabs (1x12 with Eminence and Marshall 4x10 with GB 10's) and the amp sounds great but is just too darn quiet!

I am not talking about clean headroom, I mean cranked, through either cab, with any guitar, it just didn't have enough total volume.

I have heard people say of their Bumbox or Zvex Nano or other 1 watt amps that they were too loud. Unless they were somehow considerably louder than the Killer Ant...HOGWASH. WAY TOO QUIET!

I am a home player only and I need more volume out of this thing without pedals. Maybe I have to do the Bitmo mods or just buy a 103db Eminence Red Fang.

2. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

It's 1 watt dude, what'd you expect?

3. KCWM

KCWM Member

That post makes me want to buy one of these now!

4. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Get a load box with a line out. Into a cheap clean poweramp, and voila'! That tone at any volume!

5. dayn

Well said, but with so many people saying that their 1 watt amps are too loud, I thought it might be just right.

No worries, I have a Komet 19 coming so that should cover the volume needs!

6. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

:rotflmao

Alright, as long as we're on the same page. At home I play a 5 watt Valve Jr. through a 2x12 open back G12T-75 Celestion deal. The efficient speakers are enough to get that 5 watter pushing just right for the house, in fact cranked starts to annoy the wife and kids. I couldn't imagine a 1 watt head, I'd be like, "Where's the sound?" The people that think the 1 watt amp is too loud are the same people who whine about amp weight when gigging. This is rock and roll, not prep school!

7. Artimus82

Artimus82 Member

awww crap... that was me in two posts last week! :hide

8. olejason

olejason Supporting Member

By the same token a valve jr. in my place is LOUD. If I turn it up halfway it will shake the walls.

It just depends on what kind of space you have the amp in. The killer ant would probably be just right for me.

9. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

I can't crank my valve jr. at home. Too ******* loud. If I want to crank it I have to put it in the closet. 1 watt seems just about right.

10. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I built a 1/2 watt, 9 volt powered amp yesterday and it is too loud to crank all the way up in my apartment. Fine for me, but not for the neighbors.

11. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

It depends on who you ask. For me the amp is perfect at home. I can spin that dial up to 1/2-3/4 for some good breakup, slam it with an SD-1 or something, and go to town! My wife would probably disagree that it's perfect and tell you it's too loud. It also depends on the guitar I plug in. My P90 Special is kinda overbearing, but my White Falcon is just right, for example.

12. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

Also, I played a 1 watt amp fom Peavey's new custom amp line at the James Burton festival. The guys at the booth said they were told to turn it down more than once by the people running the show. It was loud!

13. dayn

Same page for sure!

I have had some 5 watt amps that were almost too loud, and this sub-1 watt is too quiet.

I think it is also SPL...you need to move some air to sound good, otherwise just buy a POD and some headphones.

14. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

SPL and natural tube compression for the tone win! Maybe you can mod that 1 watt amp? That Valve Jr. I have is modded to the max, which is another reason I can get over playing it in the house. Stock they're too glassy and irritating sounding.

15. dayn

I was told by the Bitmo guy to try a 12au7 for little volume bump (and more headroom). His mods don't make it louder. If that doesn't work I will probably get a more efficient speaker like a Red Fang to try because I do like the tone of the amp, just need more volume.

16. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

My Gries 35 is an excellent amp for around the house.:)

17. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

A Gries 5 can play pretty dang loud using apartment dweller standards. Not a lot of clean headroom when pushed, but that's kind of the idea. My Hi-Mu 7 watter was also way too loud for my neighbors.

I'm always interested in checking out amps in the sub 20 & sub 10 watt categories; this is the first time I've heard of the Killer Ant, will have to check it out.

18. Dale

Dale Member

I have one and it is louder than a louder standard TV here. Very loud talking and into lower level yell. Any speaker. More than enough for me at home. Any more and it gets to be a bother for the family.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  19. dayn

I guess this is a good lesson in subjectivity as "bedroom" amp means different things to different people. Some need a whisper, some need to hear and feel it but try to tame it, and some just let 'er rip!

20. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I seem to spend a lot of time trying to get my 'big' amps quieter and my small and to sound bigger. It would seem that some music needs to be loud. It was also pointed out to me that until an amp gets to a certain loudness you can not hear the total tonal range, to say nothing of the overdrive most of us are looking for.

Lately i have been thinking this is frustrating enough that I want to move - certainly out of my condo and possibly away from people. The country/mountains might be the solution. Then I think, it's just playing guitar right... is it worth all that? Well hell yes it is... I work a sometimes frustrating 9-5 corporate gig, and about 5:15 I am in need of at least a good hour of guitar therapy to wash all that crap off of me (...er, out of my head maybe).

Well... I am about to try an attenuator. Not convinced it is the solution because I think my required minimum volume will still exceed the living situation threshold. But it is likely my last stab before I up and move. Frankly, I will probably do that sometime soon anyway.

What is bugging me lately is not so much complaining neighbors... but knowing that they can probably hear me and are annoyed. I think it is starting to effect how I attack the strings with the pick and that is a really bad thing.

/end rant...