Blackheart Little Giant?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Brownface, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Brownface

Brownface Member

I've seen these advertised on Allen Amp's website. Are they his? What are they like?

2. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

For the money, killer amps:

• Surprisingly booteek-like in tone and performance
    • Louder than you think
    • Very clean and punchy
    • Breaks nicely into low gain drive, great for blues or classic rock
    • Cab sounds full with nice tight bottom end and almost no flub
    • Eminence speaker sounds great in it
    • Price is unreal
    I have yet to hear it with some pedals running through it but I would imagine it would be super versatile.

3. morglan

morglan Supporting Member

I like mine. There's not a lot of clean headroom (which is fine by me), and the overdrive is nice. It's a "British-y" overdrive, but not as thick as a Marshall.

I've changed out the 12AX7 for an old 12AT7 that I had laying around, but I still want to buy some decent replacements for the stock tubes. (I'm trying to take some of the high end edge off the overdriven sound.)

I also want to hear it out of either a 2x12 or 4x12 cab.

Great value for the money. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it all over again. It's solid and well-made, and has the look and feel of a much more expensive amp.

4. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

After doing some research and hearing them side by sid I went for the Epi Valve Jr half stack and it's a great little amp for home use and jams. I really dig it :)

5. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Going from memory, I feel the Blackhearts are better all round in the tone dept.

I was actually surprised when I first plugged into a Little Giant. I didn't remember any excitement with the Epi Valve Jrs.

YMMV

6. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

I've got a 5W head that i'm contemplating parting with. Sounds great for the money, but I want something a bit more portable than the head/cab thing right now.

Brian

7. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

If you dig the amp and want the same thing, they do have it in a 1x12 combo.

8. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

Truth.

The head/1x12 mini-stack is WAY louder than a '59 Gibson GA-18T I recently acquired on TGP.

I prefer the Little Giant dialed back to a clean sound - the overdriven sound is just OK in my book (and not close to the aforementioned tweed Gibson).

9. lp144

lp144 Supporting Member

The 5w mini stack sounds good with a Timmy in front - the Timmy melts into the amps.

10. Custom50

Custom50 Member

I really like mine alot. I swapped the tubes and it improved the tone alot.

11. magnido45

magnido45 Member

tracking shows that I'll receive my 5W head/halfstack on Monday...but I'll be away on vacation...hope my roommate won't play it on 11 and blow it up!

12. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

I'am a newb here, but I have the combo, and it's a great little amp in it's own right. At a small gig, where they had an open mike, another guitarist asked if he could use my amp. I said "sure", and sat down to have a brew. Well, he dimed everything, and cranked out some Hendrix/Belew, and I was impressed, he was quite good, anyway, from hearing the amp objectivly,(not playing), it sounds great, the bass player said "awesome", but I must say, inside is nos tubes, next on the list, an altec speaker.

13. thirstypirate

thirstypirate Member

What type of tubes are you guys putting in your amps. I 'm really impressed with the crunch tones this amp produces, but I'm sure a tube upgrade would do wonders to get the most out of it.

14. thirstypirate

thirstypirate Member

I'll look them up,

you sure can't beat the price for what you get with this amp.

15. magnido45

magnido45 Member

I'm sure I'll be plenty happy with this amp when it arrives stock...but for future reference, is "biasing" necessary when swapping out tubes for this type of amp? This will be my 1st tube amp and I hear that you need to bias some amps...

16. doctorx

doctorx Member

The Blackheart LG is a single ended cathode biased amp, which means it is self biasing and you don't need to do anything when changing power tubes.

17. magnido45

magnido45 Member

Thanks, Dr. X!!! Makes it nice and easy with this info!!! :AOK

18. nagshay1818

nagshay1818 Member

Yes, I agree with most here saying that the amp is killer. My cousin and I are cutting an album right now and he just bought one for the album. It sucks though, because after hearing it I have to sell gear to pay for one haha.

19. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

To clarify, if I'm not mistaken, Allen is not selling the amp - he's selling an upgrade kit which includes a Heyboer output trannie, an eyelet board, switches, pots, jacks, etc. The kit is $199, but you can get just the trannie for $45. The head can be bought for around $170 and a 1-12 combo for $280 new. With the upgrade, it's supposedly really impressive for the investment.

20. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

So where do you get this ???? Link?