Blackheart Self-Bias

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by halorealm7, Jun 12, 2008.

1. halorealm7

halorealm7 Member

Hi folks, long time lurker but first time post. I've got a new BH in the mail and I'm trying to find some info about a tube change. Read the manual and read where some folks have said it is self-bias and others have said it is not. Anyone have the scoop on this? Sorry if this has been covered before--I looked but couldn't find a definitive answer. Thanks to everyone here for their great insights. This forum has helped me a great deal.--Brian

2. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

I assume it's EL84's and I believe all EL84's are cathode biased.

3. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

The Carvin Vintage series run a quad of EL-84's in fixed-bias.

Sorry, don't know the answer to the OP's question.

4. WesKuhnley

WesKuhnley Member

Yes, the blackheart is cathode-biased. MOST small wattage amps (under 30ish watts) are cathode, though not all. Most higher wattage amps are fixed bias.

5. eleanor296

eleanor296 Member

Yup, listen to Wes. From what I know the bias resistor has been chosen pretty well, so you should just be able to pop another EL84 in without internal adjustments.
    Some voltage readings would still be appreciated though, if you don't mind. That way we can tell you for sure and learn something in the process =].
    Also, check out SEwatt.com, they have a Blackheart section. Great forum, great people, very helpful.

~Andy

6. halorealm7

halorealm7 Member

Will do and thanks! Can't wait for it to get here:drool

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I just picked one up (HOW could I have resisted? A tube amp at that price? I thought to myself "even if it sucks, what a fun amp to try tone theory on, try mods...even if it blows up I can just fix it") and though every review I have read has the person upgrading the tubes, I found it delightful with stock tubes in it. For a recording or practice amp.

In 5 watt mode, if I keep the volume under 1 o'clock it sounds wonderful. In 3 watt mode, I can crank a little higher, but still, it is when it goes into full OD that it starts farting out. I have only tried it so far with a 2 x 10" cab. It has a nice sound. Works with my strat or LP. I think it is going to be a GREAT recording amp.....and I am going to play with the input resitors, and other caps, and just play with it. It costs about half what I paid for a Klon, and about the same as a cube 30 amp...so...it is a dead STEAL.

8. goodwill559

goodwill559 Member

I'm looking forward to the Blackheart Killer Ant head, a fraction of 1 watt. Their blog says they are on the boat from the factory and expect them to be on the shelves in July.