Blackheart?

bynt

Looking for a 1x12 ext cab. Does anyone know about the Blackheart? It's half the price of the Orange but I'm wondering about the speaker??? Sound?

Al Nico

I too would like to know - seems like a quality cab (birch ply, closed back, british-voice Emi), but seems a bit small/shallow for closed back application.

I just bought a blem off MF for $113, so I'll find out soon I guess:D. I think a convertable open-back mod is in order.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Peavey Sheffield 112sx. It's a pretty cool cab, you can put it on either side (feet on both sides) and there is a removable panel for semi-open or closed. The speaker actually sounds pretty nice, a little mid-rangey but a nice bounce to it. I have a Marshall 1965b 4x10 coming in a few weeks so I might be looking to move the Peavy, but it is nice to compare and to have a lighter option. I'd seek one out (or check the Emporium in a few weeks to see if mine is back up for sale :AOK)

knn123

• a jack plate with 1/4" Switchcraft jack
  • ample wire to hookup your speaker
  • T-nuts are installed and bolts are included for speaker installation
  • 15" high x 11" deep x 17" long and weighs 18 pounds.
  • rubber strap handle
  • metal corners
I just got this closed back cab today for my BH Head. 125 shipped. Put a Greenback in it. Very well built by Lopo. All the comments I have read that have the BH cab, really like the speaker and the built quality of the cab. I played one the other day and it was really nice. Very clean chimey tone. Seems the combo speaker is the one everyone is replacing. G12H30 seems to be the choice speaker for the combo or cab for the BH. I really really like the GB.. I have the head volume set at 4 and it is plenty loud and very clean. And then kick in the OD pedal at the same volume setting and it is has very nice crunch. Not in your face loud, but loud in a way where it is full. Then just work the guitar volume for the byte of the tubes. Really like this Head. Whew..

e24c_1.JPG

When I got this cab at first at low volume it was very nice. But now turning it up a tad. it very boomy, plus it is not 11 inches deep. that front grill takes up two inches. So it is more like 9 inches deep. which isn't allot of room to move the air. I tried to cut a couple port holes in the front. It helped a tad.. But I just ended up cutting 3 inches across the middle off the back. It made a big diff.. Going to just use it for my acoustic guitar and floor harp. But I wouldn't recommend this cab.. Funny when I say boomy.. Things raddle'd off my my upstairs bathroom shelf. Mean it sound like one of those thump boom boxes these kids put in the trunk of there car.. Ba Boom Ba Boom..

Al Nico

The Valve Junior cab I believe is a little smaller (18"x19"x11") compared to the BH cab (20"x21"x11), but is open back. Similar quality construction and speaker for the price, however.

EDIT: both cabs are the same smaller size. Just got the BH and measured.

M

Member 37136

Looking for a 1x12 ext cab. Does anyone know about the Blackheart? It's half the price of the Orange but I'm wondering about the speaker??? Sound?

The speaker is by Eminence, but as an oem only item, it isn't in their catalogue. I personally think it sounds great, and the cabinet is very stout with nice tolex and solid wood construction.

bynt

So do you think it's worth getting over the Orange with the V-30? I really like the Orange but it's obviously more expensive. I can get it for 250.00 (good price) but would like to save some cash if I can.

Al Nico

If you want and "orange" cab, you can also get an Avatar contemporary 1x12 for around $250 shipped brand new, and you can pick whatever standard speaker you want from their inventory (Vintage 30, G12H30, G12T75, Greenback, Classic Lead 80, Hellatone 30, Hellatone 60). If you look on ebay, you might even catch a deal on one of their Auctions for less than $250 shipped.

Just imagine this in a 1x12:
9ce1_1.JPG

If the 1x12 V30 sound is exactly what you want, then just spring for the Orange cab.

Bryan29

If you want and "orange" cab, you can also get an Avatar contemporary 1x12 for around $250 shipped brand new, and you can pick whatever standard speaker you want from their inventory (Vintage 30, G12H30, G12T75, Greenback, Classic Lead 80, Hellatone 30, Hellatone 60). If you look on ebay, you might even catch a deal on one of their Auctions for less than $250 shipped.

Just imagine this in a 1x12:
9ce1_1.JPG

If the 1x12 V30 sound is exactly what you want, then just spring for the Orange cab.

I have the exact cab in a 1X12 for my BH head and I love it. It works just fine. Plus the cab can be used for any other head I might choose down the road. A steal for $225.

Al Nico

Just wanted to report back on the Blackheart cab...

Overall, very nice construction and the sound of the stock speaker in the closed cab is pretty good (a tad boxy). Hard to describe the speaker, but my best guess is a cross between a CL80 and G1265 frequency-wise, but more on par with a 70/80 in terms of sound quality if that makes sense (i.e., a bit stiff and cardboardy). Still sounds good, and the sound will open up with more break-in time.

That said, I decided to cut the back open to open up the sound, and then put in a Tonkerlite to lighten the load. I also flipped the whole cab upsidedown to get the speaker hole higher off the ground. This combination makes the cab sound pretty huge, on par with my open-back Avatar 2x12, but obviously quieter.

blackheartback.jpg

knn123

Al Nico, that looks great. I just got a blemish one too for that price. Deff going to to give that a try when I get this week.. Plus you can always make a covertable cab to put it back on. neat..

JumpMarine

I ended up buying the Avatar Vintage G112(Hellatone 30) open back and couldn't be happier. Everything from the Blackheart to 18w to my Super Champ sound huge through that cab. $244 shipped brand new.

Al Nico

The Vintage Avatar G112 is a killer deal for $244. A quality big cab with angled baffle and choice of speaker. If I was looking for a 1x12 as my main cab, I would have snatched one of those. I'm content with my 24 lb. Blackheart/Tonekrlite cab as a backup, since I already have a 2x12 Avatar :D

Trending Topics

Top Bottom