Blackie Lawless (wasp)

gdomeier

Gold Supporting Member
Had my ipod on shuffle today and some wasp came up and I was reminded how much I love his vocal style. Sure the image was cheesy and there wasn't tons of musicianship involved, but there's something about his voice I love. The crimson idol album is my favorite. Lots of good stuff there.

Hate away! :)

Last edited:

Dave2512

Never was a fan. My experience was WASP was the band for the chess club nerd kid in 8th grade that came back from summer vacation with a jean jacket full of dorky metal band buttons and a mullet because his mom finally let him go to the mall alone. Didn't really fit in with the metal bands I liked that had crossover appeal to kids that liked punk and hardcore.

Serenity

Loved WASP since i was a kid and i still play their albums a lot. Fav's are Headless Children and Crimson Idol. I've not seen them live since the Crimson Idol tour. It's a shame their image in the early days put a lot of people off because they've written some killer songs over the years.

S1Player

Never was a fan. My experience was WASP was the band for the chess club nerd kid in 8th grade that came back from summer vacation with a jean jacket full of dorky metal band buttons and a mullet because his mom finally let him go to the mall alone. Didn't really fit in with the metal bands I liked that had crossover appeal to kids that liked punk and hardcore.
I loved that jacket.

fishruss

After reading the Back to the Front book about Metallica's MOP days, sounds like Blackie was pretty difficult to tour with!

monwobobbo

Blackie was a tad over the top, but I like them for the most part.

I prefer the early stuff. Two of my favorites:

these are two of my fave WASP song's as well. they also do a killer cover of the Who's The Real Me. Blackie has a pretty unique voice that I always really liked. WASP still gets a fair bit of airplay at my house.

They always had something more to them than the standard 80's hair bands.
Totally agree. Better songwriting, mainly. Seemed to be a bit more dangerous; certainly did their bit in offending Tipper Gore, which means they had to be doing something right.

I especially liked The Crimson Idol. It seemed to be Blackie's heavy metal tribute to Pete Townshend.

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
A very close friend, brother-from-another-mother, best man and band mate of mine, Perry Lombardi (now deceased), used to be a hanger-on/roadie for Blackie while in LA. Late 70's/early 80's.

Trending Topics