Blackmore Strat

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Captain Midnite, Jan 8, 2020.

1. SDB

SDB Member

That made me laugh!

Gig Young and Steve73 like this.
  2. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

Has Fender ever done one for him? He is so elusive.

He makes enough to live off of what they have done? Amazing! I am sure they must have contacted him to do one, no...

3. Bokar

Bokar Member

There have been numerous Blackmore strats by Fender. At least 2 MIJ(one set neck), a MIM, a custom shop recreation of one of his earliest Strats(maple fretboard) and a set neck Blackmore strat

SDB likes this.
  4. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

I had the set of pickups from the Strat that Blackmore smashed at the ‘76 Rainbow concert in Brisbane,Australia. I happened to be with an athletic friend who reached up and caught the scratch plate when Ritchie “frisbeed” it across the crowd.

After the show, I ran into Pete Wells and Chris Turner from the support band Buffalo (shortly thereafter Wells started Rose Tattoo) and showed them my prize. They said Ritchie had cardboard boxes of new Strats stacked up backstage and he’d just walk off stage, grab one at random and take back it on stage to smash it.

Coincidentally, I needed a replacement bridge pickup for my ‘62 Strat at the time however I left the pickups with my older brother (electronics whiz and former said Strat owner) for “testing” and never saw them again.

I ended up installing a DiMarzio Fat Strat which was, at the time on my part of the world, the only option.

BADHAK, spaceman39 and skhan007 like this.
  5. SDB

SDB Member

Not to mention, there's one posted right here in this thread.

6. Joe F

Joe F Member

RB did say in an interview I read that he got frustrated and told a tech to "sod this". I knew Dawk as well and he said he used 5 minute epoxy. This was 20 years ago, I'd have to dig up my notes but I thought I remember him explaining how he did it so that he could heat the epoxy up and get the neck off again, he did not just join the neck to the body. As I think about it, just doing it on the threads would not compensate for a bad neck pocket but I have not thought about this for a long time. Not sure when RB started doing this - he was always a tweaker but a lot of his more famous tweaks were not there during Mkii DP, they came later. I did move to set neck strats myself after having this frustration though that required custom builds and more expense and such.