Blackout Effectors Whetstone Phaser

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nibus, Apr 20, 2009.

1. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

2. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

it is an awesome phaser... if I hadn't just gotten my retro-sonic, I would gasing for this one... actually it is too late, but my moneys are already going into other things :)

3. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Yikes, too many knobs and switches- I'd be tweaking it endlessly! I'm sure it sounds great, but I'll stick w/ my Analogman Small Stone, simple and perfect.

4. pen15

pen15 Member

+moi

5. guitarnoize

guitarnoize Member

the demo sounds amazing but I'm with you guys too many knobs and switches for me, I would spend more time crouching than playing!

6. too many knobs and switches are EXACTLY what make it stand out and unique.
    then again, being unique and "out of the box" are not ideas that are promoted here on The Robben Ford Page. I mean TGP.
    anyway, i think it sounds great and i'd love to see more demos of it.

7. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Sometimes you don't need a lot of switches or knobs to be "unique or out of the box" ;) I have nothing against pedals with a ton of features, just isn't for me...

8. it really isn't that complicated a pedal, nor does it have tons of knobs.
    but, if its not for you, fair enough.

9. korchha

korchha Member

Sounds killer!!

10. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

:beer

11. anyone own one of these yet?
    feedback?

12. lonelylooper

lonelylooper Plate of shrimp Silver Supporting Member

I have one!
    Got it last week. It's very killer, like a smallstone but soooo much more.
    At first it was frustrating with all the knobs and switches, but once I figured it out I just dial in the sound I'm after and play.
    If you are a lover of the smallstone type phase this is the one+++++
    I kept my phase 100 because its really just a different sound.
    It also seems to me that there are alot of phasers out there that sound like a phase 90 or 100, the whetstone is in a league of its own IMO.
    + the low pass filter sweeps!!:thud

13. Zillie

Zillie Member

could you post a pic with other pedals to let us see how big it is?

14. NetStar

NetStar Member

Lots of knobs:
    [​IMG]

Not that many knobs after all!:
    [​IMG]

15. i always wondered how that infinitphase sounded.
    any clips?

16. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

Love the T-A-P!!! Some of the 3rd bank waveforms are just so cool- If you max or min the feedback and dime the depth it actually gets percussive and lays down a whole level of rhythm underneath everything. I can't understand why everyone gets all ga-ga over the TAW while the TAP stays under the radar.
    Does the Whetstone have various wave shapes, feedback control, etc...? I would love to hear anything that can compare to the TAP.

17. Hemispheres

Hemispheres Member

+ infinity

18. SteelyDannyBoy

SteelyDannyBoy Member

I got hold of a Whetstone (last one Pro Guitar Shop had at that time), and indeed it does sound fantastic. The reason I felt I needed to return it was that two of the small switches popped too loudly for my taste. I contacted the builder, who replied that there was a little that could be done for one of the switches to reduce the noise, but overall it was something that he did not have a fix for at the moment. Since I change settings within a given piece, this kind of pop just wasn't acceptable to me; if that's not an issue for anyone, I'd certainly recommend the pedal otherwise. I ended up with the newest Effectrode Phaseomatic, which may not have the widest range of options, but is an extremely warm and superb sounding phaser. And it is supremely quiet.

Addendum: I decided to give the Whetstone another chance, and by golly, they did indeed make it quieter. Kyle was very nice to deal with, and I'm glad they realized they needed to address some issues with this pedal. Rather different than the Phaseomatic, but both are quite nice.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  19. jmoss5347

jmoss5347 Member

footswitches would be awesome for the different modes of the whetstone, and its pretty big so i could totally see that being possible. with footswitches, i would never get rid of it. ive replaced it with the mobius for its versatility but the whetstone is my favorite phaser out all of the ones ive tried.

20. mild

mild Member

I'm loving my Whetstone fyi. The "too many knobs" thing is completely moot, it really doesn't have too many and I'm thankful for the extra control - plus I know exactly what sort of phased sound I'm after now too, thanks to being able to experiment with all different kinds.

I like my phaser long and slow, this one really takes the cake and the sweep can get sickeningly good. Feedbacking is a blast, as is big swooshing chords. Yummy.