Blackstar A30 sounds?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by danzig, May 12, 2008.

1. danzig

danzig Member

I read the review of the Blackstar A15 and A30 in Guitarist mag a few months back. The A30 got full marks and reviewer Nick Guppy clearly thought both amps were astonishingly good.

One thing that I haven't heard much about is what sort of clean sounds the A30 produces. So far I've pretty much always used an amp's clean channel and used pedals for distortion etc. so it's the clean channel that is the most important to me.

Being an EL84 powered 30 watt combo with an EF86 channel, it's covering the Vox AC30 in channel 1 - right? (With the Marshall-like stuff in channel 2?) But I haven't heard anybody making comparisons between the A30 and the AC30. Can anyone offer opinion as to the tonal similarities between the A30 and an AC30, and/or describe the clean tones in general? If I wanted to get The Edge's guitar sounds from "Pride" or "Streets", are they in there?

Cheers.

2. danzig

danzig Member

(These aren't available yet here in New Zealand, otherwise I would just go play one!)

3. MartinC

MartinC Member

4. danzig

danzig Member

Thanks for that - interesting. Doesn't sound particularly special there.

5. MartinC

MartinC Member

Exactly what I thought! Same in the flesh.

6. daz

daz Member

to my ears the a15 sounded alot sweeter than the a30 when I played them in the shop.

7. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Supporting Member

Bright, thin pieces of crap imho. I went straight for the AC30CC2 parked right next to it in the shop. And I'm not a fan of the AC30CCs.

8. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

I watched the youtube clip and what struck me right away was the quality , or rather lack of quality in the playing of the demonstrator. Stiff lifeless playing will transmit itself to the tones the listener hears. I wouldnt be so quick to slam the amp, in the hands of a better player , it may just sound at least 10 times better.

Bryan

9. MartinC

MartinC Member

That's a fair point Bryan ... my comments were actually a follow up from another thread in which Danzig had asked me about what I thought about the Artisans as I'd tried them before I bought something else (a Hughes & Kettner Statesman). As I mentioned in that thread, I didn't think the Artisans were bad, and my comments above were not meant to sound like a slam, but I honestly felt underwhelmed when I tried them ... in spite of there being lots of very positive reviews about them. Probably just personal taste ... and I've no doubt, a great player would make them sound great. That's true of any amp though.

Wouldn't advise anyone to make a judgement on a youtube clip alone ... just saying that Danzig's reaction was in line with my own experience when I plugged in .. maybe that was my dodgy playing too! ;)

10. danzig

danzig Member

Fair comments all round. It's probably unfortunate for Blackstar that that youtube clip is one of the only ones around so far.

I've been gagging to hear one of these since reading the review in Guitarist which set the expectation of them sounding truly outstanding. Too good to be true perhaps, but the reviewer obviously heard something pretty special.

Blackstar tell me that they have "a video of blackstar engineer Ian Robinson demoing the amps which will be released very soon". Presumably this will show them in their best possible light (nicely recorded and played by someone with good tone in their fingers) so it'll be interesting to see that vid. Well, interesting if you haven't been able to play them yet.

11. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member

I think the guy is a good player, it's just he's not very inspiring to watch, and he's not really strutting the amps stuff which doesn't showcase the amp the best way it could.

12. danzig

danzig Member