Blackstar Club 50 Head Vs. Egnater Renegade..which To Choose???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vbf, May 18, 2015.

1. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

Gents, I'm lookng at heads that have an emulated speaker/recording output so I can practice under headphones at home. I likely won't gig either but may, just depends on venue, etc. I've had the Blackstar Club 50 before and it was OK. I've long been intrigued by the Egnater Renegade and hoping to hear your opinions on both. In addition to tone the amp's reliability is a key decision point. I've researched reliability of the Renegade and it's seemingly evenly split between "I've never had trouble with mine" to "the PT blew within 2 weeks" or "the power tubes sucked". I'm gonna check out the Renegade tomorrow evening, but in the mean time hoping to get some feedback from this august group of folks here. :aok Thank you!!

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Not even close as far as tone goes. The Renegade sounds 1,000 times better. However, the emulated out on the doesn't mute the speaker. As far as I know, it doesn't on the Blackstar either. Egnater's Rebel 30 has a "Silent Record" mode, but it's mono XLR and not ideal for headphones.

3. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

Thanks! The Blackstar's emulated speaker output works with the amp is Standby, which is great. I was assuming the Renegade worked the same way? (I know, I should never assume :))

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

No it doesn't. I know the Marshall JVMs do, as to the Traynor YCS. Some Mesas and Peaveys let you switch the speaker off. Personally I think Blackstars sound terrible, but that's just my opinion. The Egnater Rebel 30 sounds great.

5. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

May want to have a look at the H&K TubeMeisters. Or, if budget allows, Boogie Mark Five 25. Either will do what you're wanting to do.

6. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

You guys are the best, thank you!!

7. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

I can't give my two Renegades enough praise. I loved the first one so much, due to a cool demo here on TGP by SgtThump (I'm not sure he's still here) and I bought one, new, and suddenly, I'm thinking, shoot, why not have a half stack? I don't need the Renegade (I don't gig) but I don't need a 4x12 either, but here I am, with an Egnater Tourmaster matching slant cab. It's loaded with Vintage 30's and I picked it up for $400 from GC, when they blew them out. BTW the V30's retail for $150 each so do the math!

I did have one problem, which the retailer took care of; it was a bad cooling fan. I found a new one for $30 on the web and they sent me a credit. It literally slid right in with an easy quick connect plug. No big deal.

Then I saw Guitar Center blowing out the Renegade heads at $400 (!) so I bit and gave it to my son, who gigs with it all the time. No problems yet.

More important is the tone! I get such great cleans (that's what I like), that I get all gooey inside. It's truly a dream rig. The 65 watts is loud, but it sounds great at lower volumes and is extremely flexible with the two different tube types and the blend knob. Awesome amp at a ridiculous price.

Sorry, I can't speak to the Blackstars. I've never tried one, but they are popular.

HMTM

8. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

$400? Dang!!!!!

9. illini

illini Member

Sounds like I need to try out the Renegade. I played the Blackstar Club 50 combo a few weeks ago at a guitar center and was quite enjoying the overdrive channel. Thought it was a tad brittle on the high notes, but I didn't have it very loud so I attributed this characteristic to low volume. I loved the old school 70's Marshall ZZ Top vibe it was putting out.

10. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

The line out of the renegade sounds great to front of house but does not mute the speakers. I actually bought Sgt Thump's renegade a long time ago and still gig it. He's taken to drums and is in a pretty successfull original band. I actually got together to play with him on drums, Bill Landry, and a few other guys a few months back with thoughts of a side project.

11. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

Does reducing the master and/or channel volume(s) likewise reduce the output level to the line out? If it does, I'm wondering what it would sound like at a really low output volume then boosted by the preamp on the mixer and headphone level?

12. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Yes it does.

13. vbf

vbf Supporting Member

Tank you, sir! :aok