1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Blackstar Combo Amps-Tell me all about them...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gearo999, May 24, 2011.

1. gearo999

gearo999 Member

I'm think I'm leaning towards these amps for the sound and price. Anyone gigging with one of these?

2. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

I am gigging very softly with one of them and it is superb. I will gig loudly with both of mine next week.

To tell you about them, I am thinking that the Blackstar HT series might be the best buy on the market. (well, the BEST buy on the market is probably the Bugera V22, but people don't want to trust the build quality, but the tone is wow! for $380).
    Anyway, the Blackstar HT Club 40, or Stage 60 or Stage 100 head are all fantastic for cleans and is clean pretty much all the way up the volume knob. Also, the voicing switch which changes this clean to a Class A-sounding clean that gets smooth, vintage dirty like an old Fender non-Master volume is wonderful.

The two dirty channels are quite high gain and smooth. I don't use either of these channels, but I can tell they're good quality.

I bought the Club 40 watt 1x12 and fell in love so much, I traded it back in for the Stage 60 watt 2x12. Then I bought the HT 100 watt head.

The Club 40 is plenty loud for playing out in some bands, but you can always mic it if you play in a very loud band. All 3 amps have almost identical features, except the 40 has only a 'tone' control on the clean channel and the others have both 'bass' and 'treble' controls on that channel.

They are fairly heavy amps. The 40 not being ALL that much lighter than the 60 with 2-12".

These amps were made by Marshall guys who left Marshall. That impresses me, maybe it doesn't impress you. They SHOULD know how to build amps, and how to produce quality, also.

I use almost exclusively the clean channel. Turn that baby up and it is a clean sound that roars, if that's possible. :) It reminds me of a Twin/Marshall hybrid.

And the clean channel with a Tube Screamer is about the perfect distortion for me. Smooth and strong as creamy peanut butter, and as hard to get off your face.

3. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I gig with my HT-40 also use the Blackstar Extension cab, its plenty loud for my band. We play classic Rock and hard rock, little bit of old school metal the amp is very versatile with great cleans and OD/Distortion tones you could pull off country and blues as well. The built in DI is awesome I use it all the time instead of micing the amp