Blackstar HT-5 After the Honeymoon

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by luv, Feb 8, 2014.

1. luv

luv Member

I don't have this amp. I'm thinking about getting one soon. I would be getting the 12" combo without reverb because I'll be running a multi fx box in the loop. It will be for home use only. I'd be replacing a Roland Cube 40x.

I would like to hear from those of you that have or have had this amp for more than the honeymoon phase.

Are you happy with:
    Build quality
    Feature set
    Sound quality
    Effects loop

I don't want this to be a bash Blackstar thread....or a tube vs hybrid thread. I just want to know if the owner satisfaction is there or not.

Thanks all!

2. CubanB

CubanB Member

I'm still happy with HT-60 after some years, but it's hard to compare that with HT-5. I guess it's a similar voicing though..

For home use only I think it could suit, but it depends on the style of music in some ways. I like compressed modern sort of music and it's well suited for that. As opposed to the most vintagey sounding amps out there..

3. Gemini2

Gemini2 Member

I've had my HT1-R for well over a year now and I'm still very happy with it. I run it through a single 12" extension cab and it sounds great.

4. Jimmy3Fingers

Jimmy3Fingers Member

3 years later and still happy with my HT-20, if that's any help.

5. luv

luv Member

bump

Any HT-5 users?

6. evildik

evildik Member

I've got the non-reverb head. The one without a separate tone control for the clean channel. The hard rock/metal tones are great. The clean sound is a bit flat to me, but I run a Zoom G3 through the loop and a little reverb &/or delay helps it out somewhat.

I did replace the speaker in the 1X12 cab I bought to an Emi Man O' War and that helped bring some life to it as well. I actually like the sound of the emulated output through headphones quite a bit too.

If I was buying it again, I'd definitely go with the reverb version though.

7. lunchie

lunchie Member

I've owned the HT-5R now for probably 9 months. I cant really remember when I bought it. I play a little bit of everything so I like my amps very versatile. The HT-5R even though probably viewed more as a high gain amp can do it all if your willing to take some time with it.

Yes for the most part. The one thing I don't care for is that the clean channel dimed is very quiet yet the gain channel is stupid loud past about 9:00. I realize it being a 5 watt tube amp, there isnt going to be a lot of clean head room. I just find it funny that for unity gain you can put the volume at about 3:00 on clean and the gain channel at about 9:00.

Mine is developing a loud hum. It is possible its been noisy from day one but I only recently started to really notice it. I know its not the guitar or the cable because today I used both with my 2550 and it was dead quiet. I am hoping that maybe I just need to do a tube swap.

So far no issues, its pretty solid. I'm also a bedroom player so I don't really work it that hard

Not sure what you are wanting here. 2 Channel, seperate tone knob, EQ, ISF knob, Reverb, Effects Loop, 8/16 ohm speaker tap (cant remember if its got a 4). It comes with a footswitch as well.

Out of the box the gain channel is awesome and the clean channel is really bland. I paired mine with a G12M and never looked back. Now its clean is very Voxish and the gain is only that much better. The amount gain in the amp is way over the top. Really above noon its not all that useable without sending it into instant feedback.

I dont really use much in the way of effects with the amp, including the onboard reverb. Its ok for reverb, I just dont really use it. I just run a Rogue Analog Delay (which is a surprisingly good delay for the money) and a LPB-1 through the loop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Rumy73

Rumy73 Senior Member

I have had an ht5r for seven months. I originally bought the htr1 and loved the sound, but decided I prefer a 12 inch speaker for better low end. My verdict is that it is a great combo amp. I use it exclusively for recording and practice. The build and fit&finish are solid. The sounds are very good, meaning the tone fills the eq spectrum. The amp's 12 in speaker responds well to all the various settings. The clean channel is plain but useable. It comes alive with a nice pedal. The gold is the gain channel, which has great tone for days. As mentioned, there can a volume difference between the channels, but I am not using it live. The effects loop is quite good, which has the option for a DB boost. I run all my modulation and delays through it. They mix well with the amp's gain. I run OD and EQ in the front. The EQ can a way to get unity between clean and gain channels, if that is required. The gain channel has the ISF is lovely and opens up a huge tonal spectrum for the eq knobs. I use it often to create the impression of different amps when recording. People are impressed, asking me if I own marshall, vox and mesa. Now if you crank the gain, you will have the standard tube amp noise. The cranked gain is rich and not fizzy. The amp has an emulated line out that allows for direct recording or connecting to a PA. I have played guitar for 30 years, with a resume of pro gigs, this amp is great and very practical. When I started, I had to get huge amps to achieve many of these sounds but technology has changed things. I play blues, jazz fingerstyle, hard rock and metal through this amp. I have a small pedal board and nice guitar selection. The htr5 is a reliable, wonderful sounding amp. It is very versatile tonally and has the right punch for recording and home play. As far as gigging with a loud rock drummer, I think 5 watt, 1x12 is not going to cut it without some help from a PA or external cabs. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  9. Rumy73

Rumy73 Senior Member

See my response.

10. luv

luv Member

lunchie and Rumy73, thanks for the info. That info is more what I was looking for.

11. B Money

B Money Member

I had an HT-5h for several months, I used it for rehearsal and even a few small gigs. As already mentioned, the clean channel was just ok, serviceable if you just want a basic, kinda sterile tone.
    The crunch channel was full-on 80s crunch...I loved it! Very compressed, made it easy to play and sounded a lot bigger than it should have. Probably not so great if you want an lesser gain 'half-baked' sound.

12. Rumy73

Rumy73 Senior Member

Try turning down the gain and running a tube screamer and/or eq. You will have a ton of other nice tones.

13. bdubbs

bdubbs Member

I've had the original HT-5 combo for i guess 4 or 5 years now and its a great practice amp IMO. I use the line out to record occasionally and it sounds solid.

I find the HT-5 less sterile than my HT-100.

14. merriweather69

merriweather69 Member

Had one of these, cool amp and loud 5 watts! Really like the clean channel. The overdrive channel was cool, good if you like mid to higher gain... kind of compressed sounding. I couldn't really dial in a more open Marshall plexi mid gain crunch sound?... sounded thin compared to other higher gain sounds. I was surprised by the clean channel sound in a good way.
    All of the HT series amps I've played through they are impressive, do a nice combo of clean channel and higher gain compressed over drive -- more of a modern sound. Getting that sweet classic, clean overdrive crunch sound is harder to dial in in my experience,

15. themightyjaymoe

themightyjaymoe Member

I have an ht5 210 anniversary ed. Sounds great, for me I get great tones on both channels and have no issue with the amps clean sounds. I do run a tubescreamer and super overdrive in front with a wah and get instantly usable sounds. Check one out, a solid marsh-ally amp at an affordable price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

17. CubanB

CubanB Member

LOL wow.................

I guess Blackstar must feel like they've made it now..

"Revolutionary MORPH EQ".............

18. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I picked up an HT-5 combo for a steal about a month ago. It's the 10" speaker, non-reverb model. I agree that the clean side is just servicable. At basement band practice levels with my SG, it's really not clean anymore. This amp is all about the dirty side. It sounds great for the kind of Marshall-style crunch I love. I just dime the knobs and it hangs with a loud drummer. Can't wait to try with an extension cab. The fx loop is key, because I can add a touch of delay to make up for the lack of reverb.

Absolutely fantastic portable practice amp. If it just had a smige more clean headroom with humbuckers, I would have no issues.