Blackstar HT fx return question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gonkboy, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Gonkboy

Gonkboy Member

I played a show last night and was setting up my gear. The amp was a Blackstar HT. i use an AMT C2 pedal so went about setting it up. I plugged into the effects return (as i always do with other amps) but there was no sound. If i plugged into the front of the amp there was no problem, so all the cables worked fine.
    So what was i doing wrong? Why was there no sound when i went straight into the fx return?

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

You need to enable the loop:

Effects Loop Level:
    "The Effect Loop Level switch sets the effects loop to either +4dBV/-10dBV, which enables you to use it with either professional equipment (+4dBV setting), or with guitar level effects such as effects pedals (-10dBV setting)"

That's right out of the amp's manual.

lowpaygigs likes this.
  3. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

Or you had the send and receive backwards, which is not uncommon.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

Let me add, I have been guilty of setting up a loop backwards when having to hastily get my rig ready at a show. My policy in life is to learn from my failure prone self and to apply the policy of idiot proofing. In the case of an fx loop, I put red tape on the send and the same on the cable that I use for it; likewise, blue tape on the receive and matching cable. I simply match the color and plug in the cable. This arrangement makes sure dummy me gets my cords right but unfortunately doesn't help me get the other chords right!

5. Gonkboy

Gonkboy Member

Hey folks,
    Thanks for the replies. The amp was provided by the venue. All the shows i play have an amp provided by the venue. That's why i use the AMT pedal and wasn't able to read the manual.
    I also didn't have the send and receive confused. In all other amps i have plugged directly into the fx return and had no problems.
    I just want to work out what went wrong so i'm prepared if it ever happens again.

6. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

which HT was it?

7. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Member

We have these Blackstars where I teach. You have to plug a dummy cable (or even just a 1/4 inch plug) in to the front input on the amp to be able to get sound when just using the FX loop return. I use it this way with my Helix. I'm not sure why...

Gonkboy and Killed_by_Death like this.
  8. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

Because it does not have a stand by switch. No cable in the jack puts it into stand by mode. In the manual.

Gonkboy, 8len8 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  9. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

there you go!
    you can probably turn down the preamp gain, too, in order to avoid additional noise, ┬┐yes?

but, alternatively:
    have you tried putting the dummy-plug into the FX-send, instead?
    just wondering.....

Gonkboy likes this.