• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Blackstar HT Metal series

TedintheShed

I can not find any local dealers carrying these and was wanting input. My daughter is considering the combo over the 6505+ for her first tube amp
and I was thinking about getting the 5 watter to plink around on (I play bass and not guitar so I don't need much).

Thoughts?

TedintheShed

Bump for help!

There is a local seller that has a regular HT-40 combo that we are thinking about moving on as it is under $400- should we wait?

droptune

I have the 5 watt head with the 1 10 cab. I really like it. The gain channel kills and the clean is pretty nice. Its also pretty darn loud for 5 watts. Your daughter should check out the 100 watt head. Ive heard good things about it and the price isnt bad.

droptune

I
Bump for help!

There is a local seller that has a regular HT-40 combo that we are thinking about moving on as it is under $400- should we wait?
I would wait and get the Metal version. With the regular HT you would have to run a booster to get the same amount of gain. But if you like lower gain for metal which I pefer sometimes, get the HT 40. Thats a great price. It all depends on what you need.

TedintheShed

I

I would wait and get the Metal version. With the regular HT you would have to run a booster to get the same amount of gain. But if you like lower gain for metal which I pefer sometimes, get the HT 40. Thats a great price. It all depends on what you need.
Thanks.

We ended up getting the HT-40 w/cover and foot switch for $350.00 cash. It is minty condition. She'll have some room to get a pedal.

CubanB

From what I have heard of the metal series, I prefer the regular HT series. It's hard to pinpoint what I don't like about it, it just loses something I like and adds something I don't. have never played one in person though.

With the regular series, have never had an issue with not enough gain. Sometimes used a boost, but that wasn't out of necessity, more just preference and that was at lower volumes to add compression rather than gain. High volumes, can't see how you'd need one. That's with HT-60 but I assume the HT-40 is similar.

xntrick

I tried the 5 watt combo after seeing a very good youtube review, the amp has some very nice tones and this was at low volume. I would imagine it sounds just as good if not better when you can crank the volume.

CubanB

I was judging the HT Metal off of one clip from Andertons site with lower sized ones.. which could have just been the way it was recorded. Just heard the HT 100 Metal.. and it sounded much better. The main difference between them other than the voicing is that they use 6L6 instead of EL34. When combined with a 4x12 with V30's.. they do sound pretty decent. Very similar to the others but just a bit ballsier with the 6L6 character.. more low end, more headroom etc.

For the OP, forgot to mention.. the HT-40 should sound great but if anything is a weak link it could be the speaker. Warehouse speakers make great replacements for a great price.. in terms of a cheap alternative that'd improve the sound and make a big bang for buck improvement. IMO this would be more valuable than a boost pedal. Some sort of G12H-30 (Reaper) or V30 (Veteren 30) could work great. Depends on how fussy for tone you are I guess.. I think the stock speakers aren't bad but are better suited for a more classic or mellower sound.

Top Bottom