BLACKSTAR HT STUDIO 20 or 40 combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ksandvik, Feb 14, 2012.

1. ksandvik

ksandvik Member

Debating internally if a 20W is enough for normal stage use or if I should just go with the 40W. Note that there are places I can't blast at full volume and tube amps like to be pushed. Anyone with any opinions?

2. Echo Are

Echo Are Member

I'd get the 40-watt combo. It has a master volume, and, also, if you ever feel like playing clean or want to use the clean channel for pedals the extra wattage will definitely come in handy(the power amp won't get dirty in a hurry and color a pedal's tone). Although there are unusually loud low-watt amps, ultimately 20 watts is 20 watts no matter how you slice it.

3. ksandvik

ksandvik Member

Ok, thx yes I'm leaning towards the 40W version just to get the added volume range.

4. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I would also look into the HT-60 Soloist.
    1x12 60 watt combo with a solo boost feature.
    I'm seriously considering one but GC doesn't have them in stock for me to try.
    With the 15% OFF coupon it would be around $680 right now.

5. ksandvik

ksandvik Member

Thx, the HT-60 is nice but I'm not sure I need a dedicated boost and it would be nice saving some of the pounds on the unit for transportation.

6. 335guy

335guy Member

I have the HT-20, and while it does work for moderate volume gigs, I've found it can be easily over powered by the band if they get loud. It doesn't have as much clean headroom as the 40 ( duh ), but it's more compact and less money, so I got it for those reasons.

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I had the 20 and I agree with 335 guy. There's really not enough there for stage use. For a 20 watt amp, especially a dual EL-34 amp, it's not very loud at all. The 20 comes with a Celestion Rocket 50 which is a really crappy, inefficient speaker which doesn't help either.

8. XmasTree

XmasTree Member

i have the HT40
    the ONLY gripe i have with it is that it's a bit heavy - because it is a combo
    but it has more features (2 voices for each channel which is awesome)

..it would be cool if it was a head & cabinet deal so I could move it around easier

i hate picking up heavy stuff