Blackstar HT40 Club VS Fender Twin RI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ice Monster, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Ice Monster

Ice Monster Member

Been considering upgrading my Fender Blues Jr.

Is the Blackstar a serious upgrade?
    I'm looking for an amp that would give me improved headroom when I crank the amp up but retain clarity and cleans.
    Really not looking to use the distortion channel, and I will run it purely on cleans.

Primarily looking to use it for Shoegaze/Indie Rock!

2. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

i have one and love it, but if you aren't going to use the gain channel, i would think other amps would be much earlier in line than the ht40.

the cleans are great, but there's not a ton of eq available. i do use the clean channel quite a bit, though.

3. Ice Monster

Ice Monster Member

Thanks for the reply.

Any recommendations on amps that could be earlier in the line?

My main reason for investigating this is that I am buying it second hand.

4. Ice Monster

Ice Monster Member

Also. The guy has upgraded the tubes from the "stock" tubes and replaced them with " Watford Valves. (Harma pres and Svetlana power". So that does add some incentive.

5. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

no problem.

second hand fenders are probably a great idea. Hell, the hot rod deluxe - great cleans, and it can be really loud, if you need it. The devilles are just more.

the twin reverb or prosonic would be great, too, if you're after combos.. Different flavors, both great.

a mesa f-30, f-50, dc series, studio caliber, or express would also be great solutions. All have stellar cleans, plus dedicated drive sections if you need them.

the egnater stuff is impressive. Rebel 30, tweaker, and renegades would be a good start.

I'm sure there are plenty of opinions out there, but ask yourself if things like distortion/od, portability, combo vs. Head, country of origin, wattage, effects loop, built in reverb, etc are important to you.

good luck!