Blackstar HT40 combo?? I'm loving it!!

Pat6969

Not sure what it is but I am loving the tones from this thing. I'm not sure why they get bad reviews, maybe build quality?? Seems solid to me but I'm no amp tech. I plug into my Mark V and 2 minutes later I'm back jamming through the HT40 for a couple hours. Maybe my ear likes diode clipping, I don't know!! What I do know is I am happy as a pig in **** that I love the sound of this cheap combo! I can sell my Mark and buy three!:D Only thing I changed was the speaker, threw a G12H30 in it.

Pat

guspc

Silver Supporting Member
I'm with you, I've had one for close to 2 years. Mine is the special edition with the tan cloth and V30 speakers.

deathrider817

I had 1-one year ago brand new,i liked it a lot until it blew a power tube out of its socket and died..it happened 2-3 days before the 45 day love it or return it plan hit,so I sent it back for something else..I did like it especially when I plugged it into my 2-12"..it had a solid build and sounded great at lower and high volumes as well,I was very bummed when it died!

deathrider817

Not sure what it is but I am loving the tones from this thing. I'm not sure why they get bad reviews, maybe build quality?? Seems solid to me but I'm no amp tech. I plug into my Mark V and 2 minutes later I'm back jamming through the HT40 for a couple hours. Maybe my ear likes diode clipping, I don't know!! What I do know is I am happy as a pig in **** that I love the sound of this cheap combo! I can sell my Mark and buy three!:D Only thing I changed was the speaker, threw a G12H30 in it.

Pat
If you ever go inside to bias it it has a balance pot on it too to balance the 2 El-34's out,I did a friend of mines with bias probes and the balance pot was really good,a + for me..also it was biased really cold so if you keep yours you might want to check and crank the bias up a bit,I believe I did 35ma per tube +-1ma and it was still cold but that is from my memory so check what the EL-34's are rated at at 70% or whatever formula you use,it made a huge difference but like I said above I used bias probes and didn't do the plate voltage,thats why I stayed a little cold..on Blackstar Forum those guys can get you hooked up with any questions..this is just my experience with my friends and if I would of kept the one I sent back I would have done the same on mine.

Last edited:
M

Member 173903

Agreed. Had one for about a year and was very pleased with it. Even with the stock speaker it was an impressive amp.

adamajah

Another thumbs up for this amp. Sounds great, takes pedals well and has many tonal colors.

illini

I picked up a used Blackstar Series One Head a couple years back. I don't have a ton of experience with the HT-40, just the time I have spent at a Guitar Center on it. My impression is that the clean channels are very similar, but the Series One drive channels are more organic and less refined. Probably due to the difference between some diode clipping in the HT series while the Series One is all tube.

sgguitarzz

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Stage 60 I got about a year ago after hearing someone at a show play the HT 40. Great sounding amps. I went into GC for a few weeks playing until I decided on the Stage 60 because I love the 3 channels and 2x12. This amps are knocked by the all tube snobs but the bottom line is how it sounds and I think it sounds great. Very nice clean channel, nice overdrive and great distortion all in one. I have used it live and so far no issues and the more you turn it up the better it sounds. It appears to be solidly built and heavy. I got the wheels for it which are not easy to find.

Last edited:

Jim234

You can get a decent crunch out of the clean by diming the tone and volume. Sorry grandma and sucking eggs n all that.
Had mine for about a year did not appreciate it enough....

blackstar amps are great. from their big ones all the way to the fly 3. it seems the original guys from marshall that started blackstar really did know how to do great dirt tones.

congratulations

Pat6969

I have a Stage 60 I got about a year ago after hearing someone at a show play the HT 40. Great sounding amps. I went into GC for a few weeks playing until I decided on the Stage 60 because I love the 3 channels and 2x12. This amps are knocked by the all tube snobs but the bottom line is how it sounds and I think it sounds great. Very nice clean channel, nice overdrive and great distortion all in one. I have used it live and so far no issues and the more you turn it up the better it sounds. It appears to be solidly built and heavy. I got the wheels for it which are not easy to find.

I'm considering snagging a HT60 Soloist. Only thing I don't like about the bigger offerings is the footswitch connection. Wish they had a couple TRS 1/4" jacks.

sgguitarzz

Silver Supporting Member
Yes I agree about the footswitch connection. Great amps though. Does the Soloist have the 3 channels or two?

LCW

Picked up a Club 40 this weekend... Went into GC like 3 days in a row to compare vs the DSL40C back and forth. I sort of wanted to like the Marshall better, but the tones of the HT 40 just sounded better to me. Plus got a decent deal on it, so quite a bit cheaper than the DSL. The clean channel sounded better. The ISF tone shifting feature is great. I found the DSL to be too buzzy/fizzy at high gain. Dunno how else to describe it. On this HT, I'll wait until the speaker breaks-in, then decide if I want to replace it. So far, it's fine.

sgguitarzz

Silver Supporting Member
I used a Trutone Jekyll and Hyde pedal with this. The combination gives me 4 flavors of OD/distortion.

LCW

Pat

What made you chose the G12H30 over say a Vintage 30 or G12M-65? How long did you run with the 70/80 before you decided it wasn't to your liking?

Thnx!

Pat6969

What made you chose the G12H30 over say a Vintage 30 or G12M-65? How long did you run with the 70/80 before you decided it wasn't to your liking?

Thnx!

It's actually the G12H-55 that I installed in the HT40, I think the G12H30 is the Anniversary model (my mistake). Anyway, I just prefer a "Greenback" style speaker with my British sounding amps. I have a V30 cab paired with my Mark V-25 and I love that, but it's more of an American sound. I've had cabs with the 70-80's and never really liked that speaker. Just sounds a little top end sizzle-y for me.

Reactions: LCW

sgguitarzz

Silver Supporting Member
Picked up a Club 40 this weekend... Went into GC like 3 days in a row to compare vs the DSL40C back and forth. I sort of wanted to like the Marshall better, but the tones of the HT 40 just sounded better to me. Plus got a decent deal on it, so quite a bit cheaper than the DSL. The clean channel sounded better. The ISF tone shifting feature is great. I found the DSL to be too buzzy/fizzy at high gain. Dunno how else to describe it. On this HT, I'll wait until the speaker breaks-in, then decide if I want to replace it. So far, it's fine.

I did the same thing before I bought mine and I was very disappointed in the Marshall DSL 40. I thought the Blackstars sounded much better.

Reactions: LCW

Trending Topics

Top Bottom