• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Blackstar HT5...What did I fry ??

Shredzilla

Have a stock HT5. Just replaced the 16 ohm 10 inch speaker in the cab with a 12 inch 8 ohm V30. Plugged the cab into the 8 ohm output on the head, turned on power, let it warm up for a few. Smelled something burning (ugh), shut the power.

Started again with different cab. Plugged the 16 ohm out into a different cab with 16 ohm speaker which I had used with the head before. No further (new) smell, but there is almost no output when I plug the guitar in. Barely audible when dimed. Havent had a chance to tear it apart yet, but dont see how I could have hurt the transformers since I matched the head output to speaker impedance both times.

Anybody got any ideas?

phsyconoodler

Smells mean something got hot.I'm thinking a screen resistor on the power tube.
That would make it quiet for sure,if not no sounds at all.
It is very unlikely that your speaker changes made the issue happen and more likely it just has a bad power tube that showed it's ugly side.

Shredzilla

The tubes only have about 20 hours since new, but I guess anything is possible. I'll try a tube swap when I get a chance to open it up.

Any other possibilities ???

Kyle B

Silver Supporting Member
I'd open it up, turn it on, and watch closely. You might see a puff of smoke or something else to give it away. Or use your nose to get close.