• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Blackstar ID (with TVP) amps are REALLY good!

crispsandwich

I bought an ID:30 a couple of weeks ago. I have an Axe FX II that I use for recording and crafting tones, but wanted something just for plug and play practice/jamming if necessary.

The amp just sounds great, no matter what is played through it. It feels like a valve amp, and the different TVP poweramp emulations are really distinct and effective. The EQ section is effective, and the ISF control is great. I can get pretty much any tone I want from it. It's also really loud when it needs to be. The 'channel volume' control can be used to add as much virtual poweramp distortion/compression you need and there is a master volume. It's a great low-volume amp. Blackstar claims these amps are as "loud as valve", but I won't be turning it up to full volume to find out!

There is a computer-based editor, which works fine, and the selection of effects is basic but they sound good and compliment the amp tones. There are no physical RESONANCE/PRESENCE/MIDDLE knobs on the amp, but holding the 'tap' button turns the BASS/TREBLE/ISF knobs into these respectively.

Heartily recommended as a bedroom/practice amp.

SixStringFiend

Yup, I've been using a 260 for about six months now, and love it even more than the day I got it. I've used it live on several gigs, and people have been universally impressed with how it sounds. It is, indeed, brutally loud. I've yet to go over 40% on the master volume, even when paired with a hard-hitting drummer. It's turned out to be overkill for my needs in the volume department. If I had it to do over, I'd probably get its single speaker 60 watt little brother; this thing is heavy for a SS amp. I do love the super wide stereo, though, which you can only get live on this version.

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
I have am ID60. Cool product that gets great sounds without a top shelf price.

mikah912

Yup, I rock with the ID:TVP60. Got it BARELY used for just over $200 locally. An amazing value.

Great, authentic sounding amp.

jmtaylor22

How quiet are yours? I tried an ID60 but it was pretty hissy with a lot of background white noise. Otherwise I thought it was pretty cool but noisy even with nothing plugged into it.

mikah912

How quiet are yours? I tried an ID60 but it was pretty hissy with a lot of background white noise. Otherwise I thought it was pretty cool but noisy even with nothing plugged into it.
Mine's not noisy at all. Is the noise maybe a symptom of an earlier, faultier firmware? I'd make sure you have it updated to the latest if you haven't already.

partytrain

I loved my id60. It handled pedals as well as any tube amp I've ever used. I moved toward an FRFR situation, and my id60 seemed to have some odd power issue that developed (seemed isolated, haven't seen anyone else mention it), so I ended up getting rid of it. But if I had to go back to an amp, I wouldn't hesitate to go that route again.

jmtaylor22

Mine's not noisy at all. Is the noise maybe a symptom of an earlier, faultier firmware? I'd make sure you have it updated to the latest if you haven't already.
Maybe I tried it a while ago and returned it during the 30 days I had. I might give it another shot at some point.

slugworth

My ID60 is the amp that made me finally ditch tubes for good. I love it. It's not perfect, but the tone is definitely there and SO easy to dial in.

There have been some improvements to the noise gate over the course of firmware updates. It could still use some more attention, but it's good enough to get the job done.

ejecta

Silver Supporting Member
I've had a 260 for some time now. It's the first digital amp I've played that came closer to closing the gap on feel.

thrashmetl

I had an ID:60, LOVED the Marshall sounds, but I missed having speaker sims. All it needs is speaker sims.

benxiwf

Silver Supporting Member
These are great amps as are the core series for practicing. I have heard them dismissed by some but I think they put out excellent tones.

Promit

I'm going to be the sour voice. I tried the ID30 in store and it sounded like any average small modeling amp to me. Which is fine for what it is, but it doesn't rise above in any way. Solid for practice of course, but not something I was hold up as a really compelling product.

I feel exactly the same about the HT series, though.

thirsty one

Silver Supporting Member
I need to dive into my ID30. I hope it is as good as most people have said that it is. When I first got it I didn't bond with it.

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
I'm going to be the sour voice. I tried the ID30 in store and it sounded like any average small modeling amp to me. Which is fine for what it is, but it doesn't rise above in any way. Solid for practice of course, but not something I was hold up as a really compelling product.

Sounds like you just don't like small combos

longi

I have to say I think the HT-5 which I own is a bit sterile but the ID15 that I also own is in a different league. It's much sweeter sounding than the HT-5 and it's the first time I tought I could actually use a solid state amp for live work. Prior to the ID15 I wouldn't have touched an SS amp with a barge pole. It's not perfect though, the lack of effects loop really annoys me and the delays are not loud enough.

I haven't used it in a live or rehearsal enviroment either, maybe this week I'll give it a go straight into the mixing desk and see how it sounds.

Ive got an ID60 head that I picked up cheap , after playing it for a while I had to admit to myself that it sounded better than all my other tube amps.....
it was a bitter pill to swallow at first as some of my tube amps cost me 8x as much as what I paid for the blackstar.

the only thing that lets the ID series down IMO , is the lack of firmware support from Blackstar.

benxiwf

Silver Supporting Member
the only thing that lets the ID series down IMO , is the lack of firmware support from Blackstar.
Curious as to what you mean here. Do you mean lack of firmware updates? I've not personally noticed anything not functioning correctly with the firmware. What would need updating?

benxiwf

Silver Supporting Member
I have to say I think the HT-5 which I own is a bit sterile but the ID15 that I also own is in a different league. It's much sweeter sounding than the HT-5 and it's the first time I tought I could actually use a solid state amp for live work. Prior to the ID15 I wouldn't have touched an SS amp with a barge pole. It's not perfect though, the lack of effects loop really annoys me and the delays are not loud enough.

I haven't used it in a live or rehearsal enviroment either, maybe this week I'll give it a go straight into the mixing desk and see how it sounds.
It is kind of funny you describe the HT-5 as sterile when it is the tube amp and you describe your aversion to ss amps. however, I'm not sure about the ins and outs on the ID15 but the mix level of the delay is adjustable on the ID60. If you can't do it on the front panel, check the software. I think the mix is even adjustable on the software with the core series if I remember correctly.

Trending Topics