Blackstar tube OD pedals. Anyone tried one yet?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by eyeball987, Apr 18, 2008.

1. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

I was at GC the other day and they had 3 different Blackstar OD pedals in there powered with tubes. Looked pretty cool but a little big and bulky. They also keep them in the glass so I didn't bother to try one out.

2. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

I am waiting with baited breath to hear a sound clip of the HT Boost, thats the one that is whetting my appetite.

Bryan

3. major

major Member

Your just in luck, I bought this past friday from GC the Blackstar Dual, 2 channel valve pedal. Cost $216. I took a dare, wanting a new distortion/overdrive pedal, that would sound great going direct, aside from using it with a amp. I was very impressed this past weekend using it at home through my tube amp and direct on sunday. Full sounding like a tube amp and it has a sweep control to dial in american or english type of OD or Dist. Really sounds great to me and with this pedal channel 1 can be assigned to be clean or driven, and channel 2 is your lead or more gain channel. Maxed out on 2 it's got balls! So it can be a trimed down overdrive tube (12ax7) pedal , or a close high gain distortion. Its a keeper in my arsenal.

4. mmorse

mmorse Member

I picked up a dual a couple of weeks ago. Very nice pedal. First OD pedal I've used that doesn't sound like a pedal. Sounds like an overdriven tube amp to me. (a preamp overdriven tube amp) Similar to a Plexitube in tone but more transparent. The only thing I don't like is the switches can have a slight drop out when engaging them. The other thing I don't like is that you have to hit 2 different switches when using channel 1 as a crunchy rhythm and channel 2 as a solo boost. If you have channel 1 on and then hit channel 2 for a solo, you have to hit channel 1 again to go back to rhythm. In other words, hitting channel 2 gives the boost, but hitting it again does not go back to channel 1. Instead it goes to clean. The plexitube has 2 switches but works more intuitively. One switch toggles between channel 1 and 2 and the other switch goes from clean to whichever channel is active. So you go from crunch to boost hitting the same switch. The other switch toggle between clean and crunch/boost. Not a big deal I guess. It's just I'm so used to one way that I screw up and hit the channel2 switch again after a solo and I'm then playing clean instead of crunch.

5. amphead777

amphead777 Member

I'm thinking of trying the OD. Anybody have anymore feedback on any of these Blackstars ?

6. Laxrappa11

Laxrappa11 Member

im very interested in the high gain distortion. looks like a really sweet EQ

7. ed84246

ed84246 Member

I tried the regular distortion and returned it two days later - just really nothing special about the tone to be honest. I really need something that makes me light up when I play and the Blackstar was a little lackluster to be honest.

8. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

I was trying to do this before and found the Boss Line Selector (LS-2) to be the best cheap option. It was a real headach to set up and kind of FX loop and I ended up giving up and running in series.

9. steinwand

steinwand Member

i have a HT DUAL on my board - absolutely amp like - essentially this
    pedal is a tube preamp.
    Reacts very well to boosters.

i use this pedal to give my Twin '57 (reissue) a second (and sometimes
    a third) channel.

10. steveh

steveh Member

These have an emulated output that could be used for recording. Anyone tried that yet? Any heads up on how these sound direct into a soundcard?

Ta,
    Steve

11. steinwand

steinwand Member

HT DUAL > M Audio USB Asio > Cubase

sounds convincing ... imho you still need a good speaker simulation

12. amphead777

amphead777 Member

That's what I wanted to hear. I'm thinking about the OD. Anybody tried it ?

13. deadkenny64

deadkenny64 Member

Since no one's mentioned the DistX I figured I would throw my 2 cents in. It does the heavy crunch to all out distortion very well. I wanted something to do hard rock to metal and I think it fits. Not a whole lot of range in the crunch area as it gets pretty heavy at 9:00+. Cleans up very nicely with the guitar volume. I really like the variety of tone from the ISF knob.

I took it apart to see if I could swap the tubes but it seemed to be too much trouble for now. The board is held in by the jacks and I didn't want to risk scratching the paint on the case. I'm still debating if I should try the Dual before my exchange period is up.

14. amphead777

amphead777 Member

So the tube swap is a problem. I was thinking trying a 5751 maybe. Anybody change a tube on one of these ?

15. butrus

butrus Member

I have HT boost.
    Use it to add dirt to my JCM800 2210.For heavy shreding:Devil
    The best OD/boost pedal I ever had(I had like 15 of them...)
    Must say I contacted Blackstar and they told me that HT dual is basicly all HT range pedals in one,exept HT DistX
    But HT boost is everything I need...
    The pedal really benefits from different tubes.
    Have to swap it through the top.Unscrew the tube lid.Wrap a rubber or ledder arond the tube and pull it out.DISCONECT THE PEDAL FIRST!!!

16. amphead777

amphead777 Member

Doesn't seem to any of these in the US. I think Musicians Friend has them ? Anywhere else ?

17. metz420

metz420 Silver Supporting Member

Tube swap is very simple. To do this easily, the wire pin/bracket that is holding the tube should be pulled TOWARDS you. You can then remove the tube and swap it for a new one. This can all be done by going in through the top-mounted grate. No need to go in through the back. Some needle nose pliers are all you need.

For my initial experiment, I tried an RCS 7025 (basically a 12AX7) and a EH 12AY7. To my ears, I much prefer the 12AY7. I think the lower gain tube really smooths things out and the gain knob has a much broader sweep to it before saturating, expecially on channel 2. I've heard Eric Johnson used 12AU7 tubes in his Butler Tube Driver so I'm interested to see how this pedal responds to really low gain tubes. Overall, this is a great pedal for the price. Very convincing tube like tones and channel 1 is worth the price alone. Some minor design/production flaws in my opinion - the input knobs are a little touchy. They sometimes cut out when adjusting the level up or down. I too have noticed a little drop-off when the switches are initially engaged but this is minor and hard to tell in a live situation. The pedal stacks well with my TIM but is good enough to be a lone OD pedal too. Great product and it could easily be magical with some future design iterations. Oh - the ISP knob is a cool feature too. Wish they could have independent ISP settings for each channel. Would love to set a nice American bluesy-crunch alongside a British higer-gain sound. For now, I'll split the difference.

18. GuitarTone

GuitarTone Senior Member

I started my own thread about the HT-Dual, that's how impressed I was.

What a great distortion pedal.
    The owner of a music store was demoing his live rig to me.
    Basically guitar, LP, into a Carl Martin Compressor into the HT-Dual into a Blackstar 100watt (I think, maybe 50) "Plexi" head and 4x12.

To be honest I couldn't believe how great the tone was, he has a nice classic rock distortion setting on Channel 1, and a much heavier hard rock/metal distortion on Channel 2...possibly the sweetest distortion I've ever heard coming from a pedal.

He is a great guitarist, so who knows, maybe if I took the same pedal home with me it wouldn't sound so good. :)