Blackstone Appliances 2Sv3

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wingwalker, Apr 18, 2008.

1. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Tell me everything I need to know!

I am really interested in hearing about the controls onthe red channel...there are some internal controls as well.

I did a search before somebody says that but the internal controls are rarely mentioned...

I want to know the good the bad and the ugly!

Thanks guys!

2. PlumBob

PlumBob Member

I'm interested in responses too. I just picked one up on craigslist, and I'm wondering what I'm in for. Along with the questions above, can it be tweaked to sound good with a mildly overdriven amp?

3. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

4. ManCas

ManCas Member

What's cool about the Blackstone is that it sounds like your amp would if being pushed or played on 10 (11 if you will)...It sounds really great on both my SF Twin and SF Super Reverb and also awesome with my Peavey Windsor head with a 4x12 (boost mostly, plenty of headroom).

The brown channel has a very flat EQ, ant to my ears it sounds exactly like my Twin or whatever being pushed, it has a little less gain than the red channel, but with the internal gain up you can get pretty heavy distorted sounds... with my setup it gets a bit noisy on "extreme" settings but that's mostly because my Blackstone is right on top of an AC wall wart.

When I got my OD I played with it for a while (minutes) without tweaking the internal trimmers, but then I changed it to "Buffered" mode (internal switch), maxed out the internal gain and then backed it out a little, and took away some treble with the internal treble control, since my setup is pretty bright (strats and fender amps).

On the "buffered" setting it doesn't clean up as good as in "Reactive" mode, but I had to do this cause I'm using a Boss GT-6 in front of the Blackstone.

The Red Channel, to my ears, has more mids (kinda 800-1000hz I think) and also has more gain, not a LOT more with my setup, but is noticeable, is more suited for solos, it has a really creamy and ballsy sound with my strat's neck pup.

Red Chanel's gain control is very particular because it's minimum gain is at 12 o' clock, then if you turn it counter clockwise, you get a little bass cut, more suited for humbuckers so they don't get muddy, and if you turn it clockwise, you get a little flatter gain, perhaps with a little bass bump (designed for single coils)

This pedal also features a little EQ that affects both channels, it goes from flat (full mids) fully clockwise, to a mid scooped with a little bass and treble boost when turned the other way (not a heavy metal sound)

Right now I'm using this settings (with my Twin):
    Buffered Mode, Internal Gain almost maxed, Internal treble a little less than stock.
    Brown Channel: Level at 10 o' clock, Gain at minimum
    Red Channel: Level at 10 o' clock, Gain at 4 o' clock (Single coils)
    EQ: 11 o' clock

I hope this helps you a little...Cheers

5. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

Nice job ManCas !

It's been a while since I got mine & did my adjustments, but it was very easy & fun playing with the extreme settings & then finding a good mix between the 2 channels.

Playing primarily single coils made it easy for me to figure out what I was looking for/where I was going with it & leaving it 1st in line helped in not having to use the buffer.

Sweet pedal & the size of it makes keeping it around a no brainer.

I still use it, a Sunlion & a Donnerbox Spatial Delay as my 3 go to pedals & it sounds amazing !

6. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Nothing bad or ugly about the Blackstone. It is an amazing two channel dirt box that plays like an amp. ManCas has described it pretty well. I too like the extra mids on the red channel for leads, especially live. I generally use it with an AD9 and Fulltone 70 on my small grab-n-go board, and that setup covers a lot of sonic territory. The Blackstone cleans up like nobodys buisiness with just a spin of the guitar volume knob.
    I am not quite sure where I set my internal controls because it has been so long since I was in there, but if I remember right I believe the internal gain is about 3/4, I slightly bumped the treble, and left the original caps in ( I liked them best).

My external settings are as follows;
    Red level-10 o'clock
    Red drive- 4 o'clock
    Brown level-11 o'clock
    Brown drive- 2 o'clock
    EQ- 3:30 o'clock
    Buffer switch - off, not "reactive"
    Hope this is some help in your quest.
    Best Regards!