• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Blackstone Appliances OD

Guys, I am a gear slut and there are a few pedal categories in which I collect, and by far the most shameless category is overdrive pedals. I got on the waiting list for a Landgraff pedal and he made one just for me, at an obscene price, but I figured it was a safe investment because the wait time and the hype guaranteed an even return if not a profit (I would never do that). It is a cool, versatile pedal, but among all the others I have bought (some with long wait times and some with hefty price tags) I have to say that Jon's pedal has not been on my board at all. And now my investment is ruined for the time being, as he has found a way to ramp up production and there are plenty of his pedals available immediately at prices lower than what I paid.

But I digress. I now have to say that out of 10 or 15 different overdrives, there is one that is consistently on my board because it is extremely practical and has really nice, organic tones AND two channels - you can do a bit of rhythm crunch and then hit another switch for leads on steroids. and the adjustment knobs are flush with the pedal surface so they never get screwed up in transit - you can use your pick as a "screwdriver" to change the settings. And this takes up very little space on your board. There is no advertising or hype surrounding this pedal, but this is the one to have if you're only going to have one or, better yet, two.

http://blackstoneappliances.com/

joshin12

What amp do you guys use for it? I play a Strat into an RC Booster & Little Green Wonder into a Vox AC15.

Do you think it can replace the RC and LGW?

changeling

i had to have two,after i played my first.
the thing that gets me the most is how it cleans up with
the gtr volume knob.
not to mention how many different textures there are between 5 and 10 on the volume knob.
volume on 10--fat,but extremely articulate.it sings like a bird.
volume on 7-8--like a real good marshall.
theres nothing else out there like this.not that i've played anyway.
i refuse to be without one.love it.

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
Love the Blackstone. I have versions 2 and 3(2x). It has been on my main board since '09 and it's not leaving. I'm using it thru my Twin Reverb or JC120 and it's my dirt for both amps.

changeling

What amp do you guys use for it? I play a Strat into an RC Booster & Little Green Wonder into a Vox AC15.

Do you think it can replace the RC and LGW?
i havent played those pedals but i can say that its its own thing.
more round than aggressive-like a dumble from what some folks
say..i dunno--i never played a dumble.
not really hi gain either-like a billy gibbons kinda thing-
but with a stratocaster,in my case.
i dont care for it with humbuckers.
and it also likes to see a clean amp.if you run your vox on the verge,you
might like it,might not.
full up it does not have the bite of an ocd or a plexi type pedal;
best way i can say it is its like your clean amp had 2 shots of jamesons
irish whiskey.double shots.

i play into either a carvin v3mc or an allen accomplice.

Glitch Magnet

I had one 8 or 10 years ago and recall loving it, except I ran it with very low drive and it didn't have enough makeup gain on the output. Had the output cranked but the bypassed signal was still louder.

Kalalau Hiker

Silver Supporting Member
been thinking of getting one for a long time. how's it compare to a Wampler Plexi Drive? or some 2 level ODs like FullDrive, etc?

gpro34

Tried it, didn't like it and sent it back. Not impressed in the least, but to each his own.

Last edited:

rich_chaffins

Man, I got it in a trade for a Dr. Scientist The Elements, and I've been a happy camper ever since. It's not leaving my board. Fat, amp-like, cleans up like no other I've played. It's really present, too. Some pedals I've played get kind of lost in the mix, but not the Blackstone.
All that to say: yay Blackstone! :dude

sstweed

Gold Supporting Member
Bought my first Blackstone in 2000. I actually ordered a version one. But Jon had just switched over to version 2. I received serial nbr 3 of version 2. Since then I also owned a version 3 and another version 2 that turned out to be serial nbr 4. Serial nbrs aside it was a good bunch of pedals. The highest gain setting were a little compressed for me. The mids on the version 3 sat in the wrong spot and always bugged me, but the version 2 pedals had a great mid range. I preferred the version 2. I would love to find a version 1 for sale but haven't seen one in probably ten years.

Trending Topics