Blackstone - Does it get any better??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Stressfest, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

It just arrived an hour ago...plugged it into my AC30 and DAMN:AOK
    This brings me to the question...how are you guys running it? Are you running with stock caps? Buffered or not? Messed around with the internals at all?...This thing is frikkin' A-mazing. I mean, i was blown away with the Timmy...but Damn!! :D

2. Sol

Sol Member

Well done on the Blackstone, I had a feeling you would take the plunge!

I'm running mine into a '66-'67 AC30TB. I've been able to find my sound without having to replace cap's FYI.

I take both the settings for treble adjust and gain adjust too minimum, and with the pedal pluged into the amp set on the brown channel I slowly
    turn my jewelers screwdriver clockwise until (Gain) I hear the gain warm and increase slightly, I leave mine there as I wand to keep the low overdrive where it is most useable for me.

I repeat this procedure for the Treble adjust until I hear just the right amount
    of sparkle coming through, which will help in coming accross in a live application.

I believe that this would be a good starting point for your own adjustments
    and experimentation, oh and welcome to the club !

3. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

The treble trimmer I just set to taste. I wish this one was on top so I could adjust it to different rooms, rigs etc. But I found a spot that works most places. I adjust the inner gain kinda high on mine and use the external gains to back the overall down. The external gain adds midrange as you crank them up, so if you have a mid heavy amp, setting the innards low and the externals high will yield a boxy mid heavy (talking low mids, not the kind of mids you get from a tube screamer) tone. Also I was able to tame more mids out by changing the FB cap from 330p to 250p. If you need the mids, don't even bother with this change, as it is subtle anyway. The pedal is VERY tweekable so enjoy!

4. Stressfest

Haven't put it down yet!! I've yet to venture into the inner tweaks...having an absolute ball with the outer volume/drive and tweaking the eq. A lot of variables and tones available on tap without even looking inside. I guess i'm just getting the feel for it...what about the buffer though?? Any opinions?? :)

5. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

I've loved the Blackstone and for a few years now and continue to be surprised that there aren't more converts. Maybe it's because the pedal doesn't necessarily reveal what it can do in the first two minutes. Even though I liked it immediately, it took me a few months to hear what it could do.
    I keep mine in the unbuffered setting near the beginning of the pedal chain because it retains it's tremendous sensitivity to guitar volume. The amount to tonal variation available with the turn of the volume knob is would be worth it alone, but having two completely different sounds makes it that much better.

6. 6789

6789 Member

I've used a blackstone for three or four years now and I've been postinging good things about it for a long time but not many took notice till Scott made his post a couple of weeks ago. I was beginning to wonder why Mapleneck and myself were the only ones who thought it was a great pedal. I'm glad others are checking this pedal out.

I turn the internal gain almost all the way up and the external gain all the way down on the brown channel. and for one guitar I put the tone straight up and for another I turn it completely to the left. I don't use the red channel right now. I place the pedal first in line.

7. sstweed

I use mine with the buffer off. The coolest part of this pedal IMO is the feel of it. The way it cleans up with the buffer off and first in the effects chain, is amazing. The only thing that cleans up better and faster is a good Ge fuzz, but they are a different beast all together.

8. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

Man, just when I thought I was content with my gear someone has to keep posting about the Blackstone. :D After hearing sound clips some time ago I was immediately taken by it & filed it in the "nice to have" category & talked myself out of it in order to use the funds toward a new LP. Ugh, now with all of the talk about it lately I don't know how much longer I can hold out...... Ouch! GAS pain hurts. :D

...and it just look sooooo sweet too. Must resist....... must......resist.....

9. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Anyone have any good clips of that pedal, I was looking into it at one time but the last time I was on the web site to check out what it sounds like I did not like it at all.

would like to hear some user clips if you got them!

10. KBN

KBN Member

The Blackstone website recommends placing if first as well. Have you tried it in other positions? Is it imperative that it be placed first? Curious about this.

Thanks,
    Keith

11. sstweed

Mine is actually second in line after a fuzz. But the two are never on at the same time and the fuzz is true bypass. If any pedals are on in front of the Blackstone, or if there are non-true bypass pedals in front of it, you will loose some of the dynamics of the pedal. It won't clean up as well with the guitar volume. If you use the optional buffer, you can put the Blackstone anywhere you like, but you again loose some of the cleanup.

The clips on the website are quite old. They have been there unchanged, so far as I can tell, since version one. They are representative of the clean up abilities, but not very good at showing off the potential tone of the pedal. I too am waiting for someone with a good recording setup to make a good representative clip (if there is such a thing, I haven't ever really gotten great info from any internet clips).

12. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I've got one coming in the mail tomorrow. We'll see then if you guys are heros or zeros! :eek:

13. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I have now tried it with the buffer on/off - I prefer it off. It doesn't like my wah in front of it when run this way; but the pedal is just too damn good to run any other way IMHO.

This pedal is the real deal. I did 2 four set nights Friday/Saturday; I hardly ever turned the pedal off. You can do SO much with just your volume pot it is truly freeing. I run H/S/S guitars so I use the brown channel for the single coils and run the range from crystal clean (volume rolled off) to crunchy/grindy with that channel.

The Red Channel is so incredible with the WCR Goodwood in my Melancon Custom Artist. The whole thing - Melancon/WCR/Blackstone/Germino/Tone Tools is freaking me out. Insanely happy right now. Utter control. Everything is just "there" - no fighting this or that.

I am running the MI Audio Crunchbox for some solos; but that pedal is another thing altogether.

For the rest of the solos I am just stepping on the RC Boost after the Blackstone - BOOM. Just great stuff.

I promised clips and have my rig home this week, so I'll get something up here before we go down for the server changeover this weekend.

In context of the band though; damn fine tone. Damn happy guitarist here. DAMN happy! :D

14. sstweed

Ditto!! (in the best Slim Pickin's imitation from Blazing Saddles that you can muster). :)

15. Stressfest

So...it doesn't like wah?? Hmmm...may have to do some experimentation in that department. My foot is always standing on the Wizard:)

16. sstweed

Mine is fine with wah's, it just doesn't like the wah being in front.

17. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Well, with the buffer on - it loves wah. But it doesn't clean up the same. That is the sweet necter I am hooked on, that cleanup. It's has me in its clutches I tell ya! :D

The simple fix is to just move the wah to after the Blackstone.

18. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

How does moving the wah before & after the Blackstone (with the buffer on & off) affect the overall tone of the pedal? The cleanup of the pedal is one of the big selling points for me aside from the great overall tone. I don't really use wah much though, but wouldn't want it to hinder the tonality of the Blackstone either.

19. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

For anyone who uses WAH and fuzz or pedals that dont like wahs the foxrox retrofit for wahs will make every pedal love wahs!!!!

I think that sentence just sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher.

20. sstweed

I don't think that the retro fit would help in this instance. It isn't a question of the wah being able to drive the lo-z input of a fuzz pedal. I think the Blackstone has a pretty high impedance input in fact. The wah would be perfectly happy looking into a Blackstone, but it blocks the Blackstones ability to react to the guitar dynamically.