Blackstone Mosfet?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Blues Jr, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Blues Jr

Blues Jr Supporting Member

I found a Blackstone at a decent price, so I have one coming soon.
    It's the newer version. I've read some great reviews, and heard/seen a few clips on YouTube and it sounds pretty good.

What do you guys think of it?

2. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

I owned one for a while and it was great... BUT it wants the cleanest amp possible. It's not an additive sort of pedal.

3. Joses

Joses Member

Its definitely a nice pedal...and also very versatile...and i mean very! If i could only have 1 drive on my board, this would definitely be a very strong contender...

But to be honest, it ain't my favourite drive...far from it (i think its ranked #4 or 5)...but its versatility keeps it in my possession! :)

4. Guyburn

Guyburn Member

Top build quality, and a great sound to boot. I never had the pleasure of owning one but I've played a few (V3 was the last one I played I think). Good all round OD, nice and dynamic. I also like the recessed controls, it stops you kicking them about at crucial moments!

5. fendergeek

fendergeek Member

I love mine. It cleans up extremely well and stacks great with others.

6. Blues Jr

Thanks for the replies. I understand the pedal works best first in the chain. Does a wah sound good running after it?

7. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

I have one and love it! It is indeed very versatile. It is the pedal that plays like an amp for sure, so dynamic and cleans up great. Despite what one poster claimed it certainly can be used in a dirty amp and does not need "the cleanest amp possible". I use one on my grab-n-go board often. It gives you 2 totally usable channels, and they both clean up great.
    Yes, for it to work optimally it should be first in your effects chain, or at the least after a true bypass pedal to make the most use of dynamics in just the same way a fuzz would be placed. Yes, a wah sounds ok after it depending on what your after.
    Best Regards!

8. Blues Jr

Thanks! I'm looking forward to trying this little box out:AOK

9. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

You can use a wha in front of the Blackstone even in the non-buffered mode IF the wah has something like the FoxRox Wah retrofit...that now comes standard in Teese wahs. Also, a good simple germ fuzz will work in front of the Blackstone (Sun Face, DAM, etc). Most other pedals, especially any modulation pedals don't work well. A Blackstone and a Sun Face make an incredible pair together due to their resonsiveness to guitar volume changes....they WILL work in tandem and the tone is amazing together...from AC/DC to Neil Young and more....

10. THebert

THebert Member

I second what the others said and found it to be a very reactive pedal to the volume knob. It does clean up like you will read on the internet.