Blackstone Owners: What Wah?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mattattack, Aug 11, 2008.

1. mattattack

mattattack Member

In the manual, Jon recommends a "vintage" wah if you want to put it in front of the Blackstone in un-buffered mode. What wah's work with the Blackstone? I prefer the un-buffered setting, so I'd like a wah I can use in that mode. Let me know your suggestions!

2. Lynchsandman

Lynchsandman Member

Hey,

When I had a Blackstone, I got good results pairing it with a Budda Wah (true bypass).

Didn't own any other wahs to compare and contrast, but there you go!

3. mattattack

mattattack Member

That's one I had considered along with the Teese and Area 51. I emailed Jon to get his imput too. Just not sure what wah will work with the Blackstone's un-buffered mode.

4. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

I don't think there are problems running a wah with the bstone? Its not a fuzz... you will get to hear the wah working.

Only thing is, the bstone in unbuffered mode - with the wah on, you'd probably get a much brighter sound. That's it.

I'm fine with it though. Have used an older Teese RMC 2 and now I'm using a Maxon Flubber wah. Works fine and sounds fine to me.

5. highfive!

highfive! Member

I think if you use the blackstone in unbuffered mode, and place ANY wah in front of it, the sweep sounds funky - especially at higher gain - because the blackstone will respond to the dynamics of the wah.

That said, I've tried placing an Italian Vox v846 (can't get much more vintage than that) and a 535Q, both buffered wahs, before the blackstone and there wasn't any interference with the blackstone's tone or response.

But... the sweep gets a little jumpy.

So blackstone > wah works much better. I'm a dirt before wah type o' guy anyway, so...

6. mattattack

mattattack Member

I'll need to try that. My blackstone is not going anywhere, so I need a wah that will cohabitate with it.

7. GrooveMerchant

GrooveMerchant Member

I've never had any trouble with my 535Q in front of my Blackstone. But it is a newer one that is true bypass if that makes any difference.

8. mattattack

mattattack Member

Got an email reply from Jon. He thought a quality wah with a fuzz friendly buffer would be a good idea. He did stress the quality part.

9. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Blackstone owner here - I've had mine for about 6 months. Fantastic pedal. Dumb question - what's the difference between buffered and un-buffered mode? I bought mine used and didn't get a manual. I'll have to check the board next time I open it up for a battery change - I didn't notice it the last time.

I can't help you with the wah - I'm not really a wah user. Sounds like you got some great recommendations here.

10. mattattack

mattattack Member

Not dumb, but the feature is one of the best reasons to own a Blackstone. In a nutshell, it reacts to your pickups in a unique way, allowing much more control from the guitar level on the amount of distortion in the signal. It must be, with supposedly the exception of a wah, be placed first in the chain to work properly. There is a switch inside that can put the pedal in buffered mode so it can be placed anywhere in the chain. Check his website for more info.

PM me with your email. I think I still have a pdf manual I can send you.