Blackstone Second Chance

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by antbosca, Feb 4, 2012.

1. antbosca

antbosca Member

I took this picture because I was thinking of selling my Blackstone Appliances Model 2SV3. But I never took the time to really dial it in the before I put it aside, so I'm going to spend a little more time with it and see what I come up with. Such a great-looking pedal and it comes with an equally beautiful (and detailed) instruction book.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  2. 12StringStrat

12StringStrat Member

I dialed the EQ as follows:
    Gain Trimmer (inside): turned 170 degrees clockwise from 0
    Treble Trimmer (inside): turned 170 degrees clockwise from 0
    Bass Cap: replaced with 0.0067uf (6.7nf) instead of stock 0.01uf
    Presence Cap: stock 330pf
    Midrange: full clockwise (flat)
    Red & Yellow Gain around 10-11, volume to unity.
    Buffer off, placed ahead of any buffer pedals.

...stellar!

3. Adman103

Adman103 Member

It's a deceptively deep pedal. Don't send it packing to soon. The internal gain trimmer and caps can really open it up. One of my all time favs.

4. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

There is a buffered mode, but it is best first in chain. If you place anywhere else in the chain, set it to buffered mode, but it is worth experimenting. It is more dynamic first in chain. As others have mentioned, experiment w/ the internal trimmers. It's a keeper, buy another one.

5. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

You can get some great tones out of this pedal, I just never got along with the placement of the jacks - kind of a pain to incorporate into a board. Hell of a piece for a Nano or mini setup though.

6. Octafuzz40

Octafuzz40 Member

I worked hard at dialing this pedal in--I loved that it cleans up beautifully w/ the guitar's volume knob. Ultimately, though, it just had too much midrange for my tastes. I couldn't dial out the Tube Screamer tones that I was hearing. Great little box, though--the design aesthetic is remarkable. I think I even did that capacitor swap too, to no avail.

7. antbosca

antbosca Member

I've been tweaking it this morning. It's definitely warm and wooly even with the treble trim up high. 12StringStrat's substitution of the lower value bass cap makes sense. This thing can get muddy pretty easily. So smooth though.

I like the overall tonality of it and it REALLY does clean up with the V knob. I've played some many pedals that claim to do that and I can't get them to do it, I have a complex, like, "What am I doing wrong?" So it's a relief to play one that works. In my opinion, if you have to turn your guitar down to 2 or 3 to get a pedal to clean up... that doesn't count.

8. sdd17

sdd17 Member

I find this pedal to be great in a clean amp like a fender DR and it love's single coil PU's
    Tom Petty jangle chords awesome and the red channel is great for classic rock type marshall tones

this pedal only works with an amp that is opened up a bit

if the amp is at really low volumes the pedal is very unhappy

I almost sold mine but ended buying another
    takes a minute to find a use for it

solved my small venue volume issues

9. coot tone

coot tone Member

I run my internal gain trimmer at about 10 o'clock and the treble trimmer at about 11 o'clock. Lowering the gain seems to cut some of the wooliness and it still has plenty of gain for my needs. I've had a KOT, Tim and Timmy, Paisley, Les Lius, Jetter Helium, and numerous others. The BAMO is my favorite. We have lots of threads about Stonesy sounding pedals, and I used to be sold on the Les Lius, but the Blackstone blows it away, and does so much more.

10. antbosca

antbosca Member

That's about where I ended up, maybe a little higher on the treble. I still might try the lower value bass cap though. I'm not playing through super-bright amps.

Yes, this is it. It can sound like like an old Ampeg, Ya-Yas era Stones. Mmmm.

11. coot tone

coot tone Member

Yep, for me it nails that Stones essence big time. Sounds great with Fender single coils, P-90s, and humbuckers, especially through a clean Fender amp.

12. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

The Blackstone is one of my all time favorite dirt pedals, and is a lot of fun to play. I love it's dynamics, how it is sensitive to pick attack and volume knob tweaks, just a great feel to it. Sounds great too!

13. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

:agree and also thru SS amps like the JC120. I use the JC120 and a Twin Reverb, both very clean amps, I'm reliant on the Blackstone for my dirt sounds.

14. coot tone

coot tone Member

I have a Vox Cambridge Reverb 30 Twin tube/solid state hybrid practice amp, and it sounds really good with it, too.

15. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

The Blackstone works well with strats
    do turn the tone control full clockwise

16. tibbon

tibbon Member

Damn that is a cool looking pedal!

17. coot tone

coot tone Member

Yeah, I turn the tone full clockwise, too, and just leave it there, irregardless of guitar.

18. antbosca

antbosca Member

I agree about the tone control too! It's like a "doesn't suck" knob. You want it full up at all times.