Blackstone & single coils/single channel amps?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by drolling, Mar 23, 2006.

1. drolling

drolling Member

Yes, I just read the entire 8 page thread again & also took another good look at Jon's site, but I'm specifically interested in hearing from players who use strats & teles w/nonmaster amps like bf fenders & Voxes. Any info on how this pedal interacts w/others would be useful, too.

My hearing's probably starting to go, as I seem to be favoring brighter sounding designs like Lovepedal Eternity and Timmy. There have been some notable exceptions like BJF HoneyBee and my new CrunchBox, but I'm finding most tubescreamer type circuits are too dark, congested & flabby for my present taste.

I've made a number of additions to my board recently based on input from players here at TGP, and with the exception of the Zendrive, every single pedal has far exceeded my expectations.

So, thanks for all your help, and thanks in advance for any comments you'd care to make about the suitability of the Blackstone appliance w/my rig(s).

2. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

All of my posts in that long thread were from the perspective of strat/tele through single channel amps (blackfaced silverfaced Deluxe and Vibrolux, and Tweed Deluxe clone). Blackstone makes a nice velvety tone. I wouldn't call it particularly bright, although I don't crank the internal treble trimmer all the way up either. It is sort of even handed across the spectrum. It definately has nothing in common with a tubescreamer.

3. 6789

6789 Member

I've been using the blackstone for a few years. My guitars are mostly single coil 1960s oddball looking guitars. Univox high flyer, hagstrom, Domino phantom, and other no name guitars.

the blackstone sounds great for me for low gain sounds in my recently sold Victoria Regal and my smaller Gibson GA5 Les Paul Junior reissue.

The blackstone can be set bright or dark. Flat, or cut mids and boosted highs and lows.

With the internal gain up almost all the way and external gain down all the way on the brown channel gives me a sound that is fuller than without the pedal. Other settings will make it thinner sounding if that is desired.

4. drolling

drolling Member

Thanks, guys!

This little box is sounding beter & better.

I've been corresponding w/Jon, too. Very pleasant & helpful.. Quick to reply, also.

I'll bet he's had a few orders since Scott's thread went up the other day..

5. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

I used the Blackstone with a Super Reverb and Strats/Teles for the most part... I sold it because I liked the sound of the Super Reverb pushed a little bit, and then goosed with a booster. THe Blackstone is more like adding a Marshall-like channel with the red channel, and a Tweed-like channel with the Yellow channel. It was just too complicated, for me, for stage use. I know I could have made it work with a little more time. But I loved the tone of the Super and now use either a Tim or a Sparkle Drive to goose it. The Blackstone was more than I needed. If I played a Twin Reverb, it would be perfect! But I am sold on the Super... Final Analysis: The Blackstone is a killer pedal, but I just didn't need it. Kinda regret selling it, but don't miss it.

6. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

I got a blackstone this week. It sounds very good. The fact that the drive control for the red channel is voiced to sound "better" with single coils at one extreme, and HBs at the other extreme was not that noticeable to me. I switch back and forth between both p/u types on the same guitar, and it all sounded good.

But, after spending all week playing and tweaking, playing and tweaking, I decided the timmy and Emma that I currently play are better for me. Jon has a ten day return policy, so it's going back tonight. I can avoid having to lose $ for shipping and paypal to flip it (plus the depreciation - it's a great pedal, but doesn't have the automatic markup that used tims and zens seem to always have). Very classy guy and first rate operation. Must be PaulC's cousin.

7. drolling

drolling Member

Must be nice to have that option. With all the added shipping delays, 'handling' and/or 'brockerage' fees, 15% Canadian tax plus the currency exchange, I'm pretty much stuck with anything I bring up here. And I've never even considered flipping anything in the Emporium, as nobody's ever responded to PMs or e-mails that I've sent when trying to buy something.

And making a profit on used equipment is something I'm still trying to get my head around, as in 35 years of buying gear, I've come to expect that the value of a pedal's drops by at least 50% the minute I walk out the door of the music store.

So I try to do as much research as possible before I hit the 'buy it now' button:D!

8. Realfi

Realfi trying to re-MEMBER

My concerns were the same as yours drolling I'm a Tele/Vox guy I haven't got any email response though from Jon though. I'll have to try again.

9. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Can't help with the single coil bit but i can tell you it sounds mighty fine with my Historic 58 into the AC30 on both brown and red channels. Has quickly become my fave pedal :) And i'm not easily pleased!!

10. Realfi

"Patience, patience" I said to myself,

"You have a Timmy arriving soon, a Klon due in a month or so and within a month you're looking at the major purchase of a new amp and two new guitars".....

Didn't work-ordered a Blackstone Mosfet Overdrive today!!!

drolling at least I'll be able to answer some of those questions re single coils.

11. Stressfest

Welcome to the Darkside my young apprentice :)

12. Realfi

Thanks J.

Happy to be called young at any stage these days!!!

13. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

It seems to me that what you are describing is exactly the application it was designed for. You won't be complaining about muddiness or flabiness, I assure you.

14. Stressfest

She is a sweet pedal. Just seems to morph into whatever guitar/amp combo you mix it with. Hard to coax anything other than an awesome tone out of it and lord i've been tryin'
    Now...what should i buy next?? :)