Blackstone vs COT 50 vs Landgraff

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JohnLutz, Mar 3, 2006.

1. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

How does Blackstone Appliance compare to COT 50 or Landgraff (switch at center position)

2. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

my experience is that the Blackstone is more of a "metal" pedal because of a couple things: lots of distortion on tap and a mid scoop that is difficult to dial out, in that, its "natural" voice is scooped...also, the Blackstone has unconventional controls that cannot easily be changed on-the-fly...both the COT and the Landy have less gain on tap and the latter can be heard as a TS variant (IMO)...of the three, the COT is the "love or hate" pedal because of the lack of control other than volume level whereas the other two give you flexability to tweak drive and tone...

3. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

They are all very different pedals.

BS - distortion, Rat-sh with better complexity
    COT - bright punch & crunch
    LDO - TS9 derivative, more gain...center pos. is cleaner

Greg

4. JohnLutz

What pedal works best with a clean amp to take you from clean to crunch just by using your volume knob on the guitar.

I've tried Landgraff and COT 50. The Landgraff is the best that I've found so far. The only drawback is that it increases your overall volume a lot unless you pull the master level way back (and then the tone isn't as good). The COT 50 blue was way to bright for my amp. Menatone Red Snapper is interesting but it never gets completely clean.

Any other suggestions?

5. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

Hmm. I am no help with the other two pedals as I have never played them. But I am having a hard time thinking of the Blackstone as either a metal or ratish pedal. On the red channel (the higher gain side) my Blackstone barely rises to the level of classic rock distortion, and probably not even that. And it is quite thick in the mids. Not in a TS sort of way certainly, but my Blackstone could never be described as scooped. It does have an interesting tone control that tries to scoop the mids if you roll it off all the way, but never does it approach modern rock tones by any stretch. It also has way more "feel" in my opinion than an opamp powered pedal like a rat. YMMV.

6. Electric I

Electric I Member

I know one thing - if I didn't have an ebay welcher this week, I'd have a Blackstone on the way.

:(

7. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Try an Eternity, cleans up great. I found the basic COT red tone in the E, but w/o the high end happening.

8. JohnLutz

I had an Eternity side by side with the Landgraff for awhile. I agree that they sound similar and both clean up well. With my rig, the Landgraff had more girth.

John

9. 6789

6789 Member

I don't have the other pedals but I've used a Blackstone for around three years. I don't think of this pedal being a metal sounding pedal. It can be set flat or to cut the mids and boost the lows and highs and any setting in between.

I mostly use my Blackstone for low gain break-up.

10. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Whoa - IMHO, strongly, the Blackstone is NOT a metal pedal nor does it lack mids in any way. It is NOT voiced for super saturated metal gain in *any* way. Complete disagreement with those statements from above.

I am using it as a straight up OD with single coils and a straight up gain with humbuckers on modern rock/modern country gigs.

One thing it ain't is heavy metal.

Don't own the other pedals, so can't comment on them.

11. jpagey

jpagey Member

Your CoT Blue is too bright? Sounds odd. I just got my 2nd one from eBay (I traded my last to a friend) and mine sounds warm and even eq'ed--just as my tone is with the the pedal off.

12. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

My blue was quite bright to my ears as well.

13. jpagey

jpagey Member

You're talking about a CoT Blue--with a blue led?! What was your uneffected tone like?

14. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Hey Scott,

Do you find yourself using both channels?

It seems that every dual channel overdrive I've had I end up only finding a use for one channel (FD2, KOT, TIM) preferring the variation and control that comes from stacking with another pedal.

I'd love this not to be the case for the situations where I'd prefer not to take the whole board.

15. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Supporting Member

If you want a landgraff, I would recomend a General Guitar Gadgets Standard Overdrive... It sounds almost IDENTICAL to the landgraff.

16. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I use the brown channel with the single coils and the red channel with the humbuckers. My guitars are S/S/H so its very useful.

17. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

oh dear...I seemed to have not expressed myself well! i think rather than having used the term "metal", probably more accurately I would have stated that to my ears, the Blackstone was more saturated and "gainier" than the other two. And as far as the "scooped mids" well, I am going to stick by that...it has a pronounced voicing that cannot be moved away from and, to me, it is decidely mid-scooped...it is certainly possible that my idea of mid-scooped is different from a lot of other folks, but that is what I hear with the Blackstone. I think it is a great pedal, albeit quirky...just not my cup-o-tea...I am more old school and if I had to pick only one lead tone paradigm it would be EJ ALC tones...the Blackstone, with either SC or HB's jsut didn't get me there regardless of tweaking...I was just expressing an opinion but now realize I could and should have explained it more thoroughly...
    :jo