Blackstone vs. OCD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by slippyknees, Oct 4, 2008.

1. slippyknees

slippyknees Supporting Member

Hey guys/gals,
    Can anyone shed some light on the differences and/or similarities for the Blackstone Appliances OD and the Fulltone OCD? I have a chance to trade for a Blackstone and from what I can tell it seems pretty killer. I currently own an OCD and do like it but, well, I'm being a typical guitar player and wondering if the Blackstone is somehow 'better' than the OCD. I do like the idea of having two channels as it's likely gonna be put on my 'grab and go' board.

I've done a search and haven't found much info comparing the two so thoughts would be appreciated. I only have a day or two to think about this so throw out out your thoughts kids!

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  2. slacker

slacker Senior Member

I've only tried the OCD briefly. I've owned a Blackstone since 2005. The Blackstone works best IMHO with a clean amp. It also needs a bit of tweaking (internally) to get the best out of it. I could not make mine work with a Fender HRD but it sounded sublime with a blackface super and a Budda (on the 6L6 option).

It's a good pedal and it's a keeper for me but I tend to use it at home or as a spare or if I'm borrowing a clean amp. Just remembered it sounded good with a Twin.

3. Brien

Brien Member

I'm happier with my OCD V1 than I was with my Blackstone. The OCD sounds similar to the cleaner channel of the Blackstone, but with more available drive. The dirtier channel on the Blackstone had an EQ curve that I didn't like that much.

4. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

Similarities:

Both pedals clean up well when you roll off the volume knob.

Both are very well constructed and true bypass.

Both excel at low to medium gain, but can do somewhat higher gain (though neither is going to cut it for modern heavy metal styles).

Both pedals are very versatile.

Differences:

The OCD is very transparent, and very crunchy. Higher gain settings can be a little fizzy and my v4 is very bass-heavy when the gain is turned up. This is not a very midrange heavy pedal.

The OCD shines for Hendrix-y blues and classic rock.

The Blackstone yellow (lower gain) channel is warm and wooly. Kind of like a lower gain fuzz. But it can be tight. Great for chordal rhythm playing.

The Blackstone red (higher gain) channel can get downright 70's rock when you crank the gain. Boston, Kansas, Sabbath, etc. Very mid-rangey and good for squawky solos that cut through.

The two pedal complement each other nicely. I had a jam session this Saturday where I played drums and let another guitarist play through my rig. The OCD and Blackstone sounded better to me than my Direct Drive and Fulldrive II MOSFET.

5. Alter

Alter Member

cant say much about the OCD (never tried it), but i 've been using the blackstone a lot lately and just loving both channels.. playing through clean amps, mostly fenders. works great with marshalls though too...

6. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

Oh yeah, others may disagree, but to my ears, the Blackstone sounds better with humbuckers than single coils. The OCD seems to work equally well with both.

7. slippyknees

thanks everyone! :AOK

any other thoughts? :munch

8. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

I prefer the Blackstone to the OCD for my needs. It does not need an absolutely clean amp to sound great, even a 5E3 will work fine. The Brown channel is fairly transparent, and nothing wooly about it at all to my ears, it is nice and tight, the Brown channel is very natural sounding with no fizz and not overly compressed and I think the Brown channel is definately one of the best low gain OD out there. The Red channel does have a midrange thing going on, but this helps it cut for leads great and helps pop it out front in the mix, so I don't mind the midrange. Both channels have exceptional cleanup and even with a Strat with the Red channel dimed you can still clean it right up with a spin of the volume knob. I use mine primarily with single coils and love it. So far this has worked with everything I've plugged it into since I've had it and I have not found an amp that didn't like it. To me the Blackstone plays very much like an amp, I really like the feel of it. I also think it is the more versatile of these two OD pedals because of the two channels.
    All this said, I will say that whether the trade is worth it is up to you. Both the Blackstone and OCD are great pedals that have lots of fans. You may or may not like the Blackstone. Try each before you trade and see which one works better for you. Both pedals can cover similar ground in some areas.

9. slippyknees

Thanks for the advice guys. I picked up a Blackstone today and while I've only played it for a bit....wow. What an amazing tone! Very much like a Marshall (I'm playing thru a '68 Princeton Reverb w/ a Nash Tele and Les Paul). Man, exactly the tone I was looking for! The red channel is funky but I really like it. Reminds me of Ziggy Startdust era tones - cocked wah + distortion.

It's similar in some ways to an OCD but I think I like it better. Just different - both are great.

Anyways, just wanted to give a quick follow up. For those thinking of getting one, do it. You won't regret it.
    :bow