Blankenship VARIPLEX In Action....Clips!

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by John Ziegler, Jun 28, 2006.

1. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Great VH tone and feel... I heard this clip before and its one of the closest to the brown sound I have heard. Man you have the VH touch all the way.... Well done my friend.

2. John Ziegler

John Ziegler Member

excellent hands-on review/description of the Variplex! thanx for sharing.
    did you get a chance to play on the 2nd input that's voiced differently?

rock on!

3. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

As a matter of fact I did. I actually enjoyed that channel very much as well. I really felt the Variplex to be one of those rare four inputs Marshalls where both channels sound good on their own (unlike so many plexis, metal panels, reissues, and boutique copies where you really need to patch the lead and bass channel to get a balanced/musical tone).

4. Roy Blankenship

Roy Blankenship Member

Hi. Roy Blankenship here. Reliable website guys are hard to find. Guys who allege they can "Do yer website 4 ya, dude" are a dime a dozen. I hope to have changes and additions this weekend and an overhaul over the next month.
    Thank you.

5. Roy Blankenship

Roy Blankenship Member

Hi. Roy Blankenship here. Our intention was to recreate Dave's plexi.The whole VH thing has grown out of the forums. Our intention with the variac was to create the infinite master volume. We did a customer survey, and 10 of 10 wanted a separate variac vs. some internal process. There are less cumbersome ways to accomplish a similar effect, but none have the "dick-measuring" appeal of turning to your amp and spinning that dial. It also helps when demo-ing the amp at shows when guys show up who really just want to hear themselves play, you turn the variac voltage to "0" after a few minutes and start talking about the amp. Perfect.

6. Roy Blankenship

Roy Blankenship Member

Hi. Roy Blankenship here. To quell any fears, we stabilized the filament voltage in the Variplex to remedy the problem you describe.

7. AdamGian

AdamGian Member

What does the variac do as far as volume control? Does it provide the tone and feel of a cranked amp at any volume?

8. John Ziegler

John Ziegler Member

i tried the Variplex again yesterday, and to answer your questions...

the variac does act like a master volume control.

and yes indeed, the tone and feel of a cranked amp is all there.....
    because the amp is basically still cranked.

rock on!

9. AdamGian

AdamGian Member

Thanks. This thing is stirring those dreaded GAS pains. To ask my question in a more direct way: does the amp retain a cranked amp tone and feel all the way down to bedroom level?

That was the promise of various power scaling schemes, but I'm not convinced that power scaling really got us there. The Maven Peal I had once was still stupid LOUD at "1 watt" and a London Power power scaled amp I had once just didn't do it for me at really low volume.

By the way, I'm not interested in another scorched-Earth Maven Peal versus London Power argument - so save it, ok Dave and Kevin?

10. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

Nice clip. Yes there ARE many ways to get "that sound". One I used back in 1980 ( and i just rather stumbled onto it) was a blonde PRE-CBS Bandmaster with an Ibanez RocketRoll SR (70's Dimarzio PAF in the bridge) thru an EH LPB-2 power booster into the front end.

NAILED that sound.

11. Roy Blankenship

Roy Blankenship Member

The variac becomes a volume control. To your second question, that is a qualified yes. At 30 volts on the variac, the output is 1 watt. It certainly does not have the dynamics of higher voltages, but it does sound like a cranked amp, only you can speak over it. At 40 volts, it starts to come alive and has all the harmonic squeals and overdrive that makes you shake your head and go, "Yeah, dude!". Most of the time at the LA AMp SHow, the variac was on 60 volts, and that was impressive to the crowd. Full bore in the room was wayyy loud.

12. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

Hey Roy, great to see you here! I see it says that you are currently in Jax in your header. Is that correct? Would love to have you back on this side of the States.

My Point Blank is still great.

Bill

13. AdamGian

AdamGian Member

Thanks Roy.

14. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Hey Roy!
    Congratulations on the amp!
    The gang and I really miss you here in Florida! Geeze fist you then MikeyG....... but I'm glad things are going well for you. Your really deserve it man. Your a great builder and an even nicer guy!
    I may have to put my pennies together for one of these.

Peace!
    Dominick

15. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

wow, sound clips are great, can't wait to hear one of these live!

16. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

Roy's the man-We really miss him here in Florida-Amazing amp tech-Hope everything is going well for him in Cal-;)

17. chobley

chobley Supporting Member

Could you please say what amp this is ?
    Thanks

18. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Ya, sorry.. it was my Randall RM4 ("plexi" module) into my rt 2/50 poweramp, line out of hotplate into NI "guitar rig" software used for speaker simulation only....

19. chobley

chobley Supporting Member

Thanks for the info . That sounds fantastic !

20. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

incidentally, to kind of tie my Randall clip together with the amp that is the subject of this thread- Dave Friedman just modified 3 of my Randall modules and I now have them loaded in a new Randall RM100 head... it sounds pretty spectacular I must say. Best channel switcher I've ever owned for sure, beats the hell out of my old Bogner Ecstacy, it's a really stellar sounding rock amp. It's brown as hell... great rock tones. I was sitting right in front of the cab at Dave's place and we putzed around for 20 min. or so after he'd put everything back together, and after we stopped playing, I realized my ears were ringing... you know when it sounds so great you don't even notice it's ripping loud, because it doesn't hurt your ears?

Anyway, just thought I'd share that. Dave does great mods to the Plexi, SL+, and Recto modules.

And there was a Variplex sitting there in the corner :)