Bleed through from disengaged pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wiz-ski, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Wiz-ski

Wiz-ski Member

Just wondering if anybody has had a similar issue and can advise of cause.

(I won't mention the specific pedal out of respect for the manufacturer - no need to generate any negative press for something isolated to my unit / situation.)

I have a rotary speaker pedal on my board, and when the pedal is in bypass mode I feel like I can still hear a hint of the rotary effect. Just a hint. What could be the cause? I didn't think the bypass switch could fail in a way that it would only partially bypass...but who knows.

Now, the pedal does have LEDs that are a visual indicator of the rotary speed, and (without being a master of electronics) I wonder if the mechanism in the pedal that is triggering those 2 lights on and off is causing interference in neighboring pedals in the chain?

Any thoughts?

2. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

I don't know the answer, but I've also experienced this with Rotary pedals.

3. Muzik4Machines

Muzik4Machines Member

my vintage ram's head muff does that too, there is always a super faint fuzz tone underneath the clean

RodR likes this.
  4. dirtytony

dirtytony Member

got same problem with a percussive tremolo, only solution was to put it in the loop of a looper pedal

theanalogdream and tonefreak like this.
  5. racecarracecar

racecarracecar Member

Shoot an email to the manufacturer Maybe it's a common problem and they have a fix.

tonefreak likes this.
  6. betteriz1day

betteriz1day Supporting Member

Every Trem pedal I've ever tried has done this, whether it was $40 or $200.

:munch

Jo-Jo Beans likes this.
  7. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

I've had this with a digitech whammy, got rid of it.

8. rummy

rummy Member

Phase 90 whooshes even when it's off. I had to put it in a looper.

9. superslidetail

superslidetail Supporting Member

Same here, I had a Creepy Fingers Repeating Tremolo that did the same thing.

10. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

I have a '78 Big Muff that, bypassed, sounds like a low gain OD. Kind of a cool sound actually. But I swapped out the switch for a 3pdt and never looked back. Probably helped the resale value too.

11. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

How many did you try? Were they true bypass or using the BOSS style switching. I seriously doubt it had TB switching... that output signal is dead when the pedal is not engaged, so there should be no bleed through, unless there is something wrong with the wiring or foot switch.

12. JJ Fux

JJ Fux Member

My Maxon D&S II pedal had the same problem. I took it to a shop, the repairman had no idea as to why the signal bled through when its switch disengaged to off setting. Thankfully, the eBayer was a nice fella that issued my refund without any hassle.

Off topic, but the owner of the shop said, "we can't do anything about it, but we will take it off your hands for cheap". I am very glad that his shop went out of business. He had to sell all of his precious vintage pedals, lol.

13. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

This can either be crosstalk or an electrical interference issue. Crosstalk is when signals jump from a circuit board trace to a neigbouring one, or inside a footswitch. This is very common with "hardwire" type pedals, where the circuit input is constantly connected to the input jack, and the switch only selects if the dry or effected signal should go to the output jack. In that case, sometimes the effect can be faintly heard in the background. Most of the examples mentioned so far in this thread (phase 90, Big Muff etc) are in this category.

The electrical interference is a different thing, where one pedal influences the power going to the others. Pedals with an LFO (low frequency oscillator) can sometimes case this to happen, where you can hear a faint noise that pulses in time with the speed setting on a tremolo, for instance. If that pedal has pulsating or sweeping LED's, it can get worse still. The first thing to do, as a way of solving this, is to make sure the power to that pedal is isolated from all other pedals, either by using the power supply that came with the pedal, or a pedalboard power supply with isolated outputs. Obviously, if you're going to use a different power supply than the one that came with the pedal, you need to make sure it has plenty of capacity (measured in milliamperes/mA) - at least 10-25% more than the pedal draws.

rumbletone and Wiz-ski like this.
  14. RodR

RodR Member

My Maestro FZ-1S also does this, faint fuzz behind the clean signal. I think the bypass circuit is the issue in this case.

15. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

The old Ibanez 10 Series Phaser pedal had a similar problem. I had two of them and both had the issue. It wasn't necessarily a swooshing effect, but I could tell there was definitely a tone degradation, more of an out of phase sound, when I switched off the pedal after playing it. The workaround was to engage another pedal and switch it off right away.

16. Wiz-ski

Wiz-ski Member

Thanks for the post - So in reference to your comments in the second paragraph, it does have pulsating LEDs, and I believe that is probably the culprit. I do use the manufacturer's supplied power supply, no my PP2, but the issue is still there. I've contacted the manufacturer for advice.

17. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

If you describe the chain, from guitar to amp, we might be able to suggest some things to try. Sometimes it is a pedal next to the one with the LED's that gets disturbed, and positioning a buffered pedal in between the two can help.

18. Haunting Mids

Haunting Mids Member

I have the same issue... With engaged A/DA Flanger.

19. Alchemy Audio

Alchemy Audio Silver Supporting Member

Certain Boss SD-1's are notorious for this also.

20. 55hz

55hz Member