Blend pots instead of toggle switche...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Bussman, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Bussman

Bussman Member

...for a pickup selector on a 2 pickup guitar. Any of you guys have tried that? What are your impressions?

2. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

It's pretty awesome on a Tele.

3. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    My XOX Audio Tools guitars (3) all have a blend pot. My last one also has a toggle switch for fast pickup changes, but I use the blend all the time. I like it better as I can get the exact blend of neck and bridge pickups that I want.
    It's a stock feature on these guitars.

4. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

It's a good idea. But I prefer, so far, a middle position with both p'ups on and then using the volume knobs to blend... But that's just habit from Les Pauls...

5. Seth L

Ditto

6. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

The big thing to watch out for is the additional load from the extra potentiometer. Being a variable resistor, it places additional load on the circuit, cutting highs.
    It's frequently necessary to adjust potentiometer values to compensate or a muddy tone can result.

7. 6inline

6inline Member

I did this on my Reverend rebuild last year with mini-hums and it worked great. I used a 500k blend pot from stewmac.

Pretty nice to roll back slightly from full neck position to clean up mud, and to roll up from full bridge to add some beef. I got used to it pretty quickly.

8. Bussman

Bussman Member

That's what I'm hoping for.

This Tele will have an old refurbished DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge wired to a mechanically modified Gibson style toggle for series/parallel/coil cut paired to a GFS Dream 90 (single coil). No tone control. Hopefully the loss of high will be minimal. But yeah I was thinking of maybe going with a 1M pot on the volume if needed.

I was concerned because the StewMac unit is linear rather than audio but was told on another forum that this is what I want for a blend pot anyway. I guess I'll find out.

Thanks for the input guys.

9. c_mac

c_mac Member

My Reverend Rick Vito has one. I can't say that I really dig it all that much; I'd rather have a 3-way. It's not enough of a hassle to change it out but I definitely wouldn't mod a guitar to add one.

10. Seth L

Played a CS Nocaster with the blend control and it was a real experience. Blending in a little neck pickup with the bridge makes a pretty sublime sound.

11. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

i did it to this guitar, the switch was in such a bad spot for strumming it was my last try before making more holes. it works great, and i mean great, id like to do it to more of my guitars. its nice to add a little of the neck in with the bridge or vice/verse not just 3 positions. theres a middle click so its real easy to pick neck, bridge or both. where it is on this particular guitar allows me to switch/blend pickups like i was using a volume swell, i can trade 4s with myself and it sounds cool. it added a whole new "thing" i never had before.
    [​IMG]

12. Axis29

Axis29 Supporting Member

I owned an ES-340 for about 18 years and it came stock with a blender. It just made so much more sense to me.

I've been looking for a switch to do the in-phase / out-of-phase / off thing like my oldES did. I want to do the same thing to my LP Special.

13. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I've tried it a couple times. The problem is it seems to reduce output. The first one I tried was a Fralin blend pot/scheme. I Didn't like it.

14. ronbo1

ronbo1 Member

On the other hand, I love it on my Reverend Vito, really allows me to dial in the tone I want...but maybe it's because I traded out the original Dual-Pro (Supro-style) pickup for a Railhammer Gnarly 90 and the output of those 2 seem to be more compatible than the Dual Pro, which seemed hotter and had more high-end bite! I don't know what Reverend does, but it does not seem to affect the highs or the output...Joe is pretty clever that way. I also have it on my (incoming) Reverend Decision bass, so hoping I like it in that guitar also.

It's a mod I would try on my Hell Tele-clone, and may do it some time...:dude

15. Dale

Dale Member

I have the blend pot wired to as a pull pot on a 3 PU Warmoth. Pull the pot and blend neck and bridge. Master volume and tone for the guitar. Coil taps/splits as well. I like the blend but do not like the taps/splits.