Blew the Blue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TeamJA, Feb 22, 2009.

1. TeamJA

TeamJA Member

Well, a couple weeks ago, I pulled the Celestion Blue from my 5E3 because I heard some ghost notes and thought maybe it was on the fringe. I checked tubes, but just decided to put my Scumback H75-LHDC in there.

Anyways, I really wanted the Blue tone again so I put in back in before my gig on Friday. Fast-forward a couple of hours, add a fuzz, wah and Les Paul and I was in tone heaven. We had just started the encore and then there was no sound. Just like everyone has said, the tones I was getting right before the speaker blew was the best ever!

Funny thing is I had my SF Champ next to it for back up. I switched amps and moved the mic over to the Champ. Our sound guy came up on stage and was like, "SO YOU'RE AMP TOOK A DUMP?"

I was so pissed because he didn't turn up the mic to accomadate for the Champ's drop in volume. I screamed, "TURN ME UP!"

So, I put a Jensen P12N in there, but it's just okay. What should I do with the Blue? I was thinking a recone from Weber, but what should I ask for?

Moral of the story is, if you want killer, expensive tone, buy 10 Celestion Blues and keep feeding them to your 5E3....

2. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Either go with a higher watt version of the Blue such as a Weber Blue Dog or perhaps try a Scumback Scumnico which is Jim and Ted Weber's take on the early Silver Bell. The Scumnico is IMHO is a very sweet sounding speaker. I have it as the 12" speaker in my Louis Electric KR-10/12 and it kills (the 10" is the new Scumback/Greenback version of a 10" speaker...it also kills). Can't go wrong with either of those mentioned above.

Tom

3. Trout

Trout Member

Should read

All kidding aside,

I have always felt the Blue had way under-rated wattage specs for that type of amp.
    Surely there is a speaker that can give you that type of tone that is properly rated. Perhaps a Gold?

I use a 100W neo in my 5E3 80% of the time, I once blew a C12N in the amp, though It might have been defective out of the box, it blew in under 3 hours.

4. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

TeamJA, how old was your Blue, or better yet, how many gig hours did you have on it, and where did you have the volume set on the Tweed 5E3 before it fried the Blue?

As for power ratings, the Blue is rated at 15 watts, from what I read online your amp should put out 15-18 watts.

As I understand from my amp tech buddies, that's a clean power rating (3% distortion or less, 8 ohm load, etc) and should be reached by about 4 on the volume knob. When set past that it goes past it's rated power into overdrive and you should be able to get 22-26 watts out of it when dimed (volume on 8-10), if your amp is healthy.

Just curious as to where you had the amp set (which of course was increased by the fx you plugged in)?

5. Billm

Billm Member

If you're going to do that, you need to at least double the speaker rating. Square waves are very tough on speakers and output transformers.

6. TeamJA

TeamJA Member

Hey Jim

I knew it was too much for it. I was plugged into the #1 of the Bright input. Vol. 1 was 4 , Vol. 2 was 7 or 8 and Tone was 9-10. I was using the RMC-3 wah (wich boosts the signal) and a Mista' Fuzz (really boosts the signal). Also, I have a 5V4G rectifier in the amp. It's an Schreyer Audio Sage 14.

The Blue was only a couple months old (came with the amp). But I probably had between 40-60 hours of high volume playing time on the speaker before it gave up. These are the settings and FX I generarlly use.

It sounded like best thing I've ever heard...

7. TeamJA

TeamJA Member

I'm not surprised that it blew. It just sucks...

I'm just curious what to do with this Blue paper weight.

8. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

I had some original Jensens redone by Orange County Speaker Reconing. They did a great job, but that was years ago... I too, worry about my Blue.

9. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Sorry for the derail, but how do you find the 12" Neo? I tried the 10s and they were okay, but a little scooped and papery - not the big American warm Fender tone I was hoping for...

10. TeamJA

TeamJA Member

No, I already checked with Schreyer, the amp builder.

11. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

One of the best blues, of the many I have had was one that was reconed by Ted Weber for a higher rating. Get er done. Put it back in and relax.

12. FJTurner

FJTurner Member

One of the best blues, of the many I have had was one that was reconed by Ted Weber for a higher rating. Get er done. Put it back in and relax.

+1 I had Weber put a 30W voice coil in my Blue a few years ago...

13. Scumback Speakers

I'd advise you to send it back to Weber VST for a 30w, or even a 65w rebuild. 30w will be on the edge the way you're running pedals/wahs/etc that increase the signal.

I think many players think they're cool with doubling their output with an OD or fx that's presenting an increased signal to the amp and fail to realize that bump goes all the way through the chain, but when you run a 15 watt speaker with a 15-18 watt amp and do it...well... ;)

But at least it sounded glorious right before the silence! :D

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

14. TeamJA

TeamJA Member

Okay...

Thanks for the all advice. I can't wait to get the right speaker back into the Sage 14 because this motha' is a rock machine!

I'm going to do the recone, just trying to decide between a 30 or 65 watt recone. I definately plan on using the fuzz/wah and possibily a treble booster. I probably should do the 65 watt to be safe, but I love the tone when a speaker and amp are matched up (atleast sometimes).

So, two questions; 30 or 65 watt and what kind of doping?

Thanks everyone,

Jeff

15. Scumback Speakers

Get the 65 watt and pay the extra $$ for the pre-rola doping.

16. amp boy

amp boy Member

send it to Austin Speaker Works, and yer done.
    I also have a blue in a 5E3........thank god for that Attenuator in the back......i think i got very close to blowing it......perhaps i just broke it in moreso.....i got scared though
    What can i say...i'm not in the know to a lot of things....so i didn't fully realize what it was i was doing.

I've often wonder'd how 2 blues in an AC30 worked.......'cause pretty much everyone uses a pedal at some point or another.

I've read the a H1E Tone Tubby broken in is just darn swell in a 5E3 as well.

All i know is most folks seem to be pedal geeks, and i'm becoming a Speaker Slut.
    Part of that is the raw awesomess of pairing speakers and amps....just blows my mind.
    i want a 4x12......'just 'cause.
    : )