• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Blind Faith: State Fair Park Rock and Roll Fest., Wis. 07/26/69

55hz

Steve and EC playing guitars....

01. Had to Cry Today
02. Can't Find My Way Home
03. Sleeping In The Ground
04. Well All Right
05. Presence of the Lord (cut)
06. Do What You Like
07. Sunshine of Your Love

'58Bassman

Great! Another show I could have seen but didn't know about!

OTOH, I was 12 and I don't think I would have wanted to ride my bike that far.

rob2001

Thanks for posting. I'll bet my brother was there. He was/is a huge Clapton/Blind Faith fan. OT, he said he saw EC at UWM giving a one on one clinic or something and he was showing how he got his sound. He said there were a few big Marshalls there and it was LOUD!

gmann

the sound is lacking but the performance is inspired! Thanks for postin' it.

JohnLnyc

This is from a BBC documentary about Blind Faith. Footage is from the first concert they did after forming (Hyde Park Hyde Park 1969) and is really high quality. Blind Faith playing starts about 10 minutes in. This may be the entire concert! Opens with history of the band covers each member and then the Hyde Park concert.
As usual the BBC does a great job capturing the times, the history of each member and then the whole band.

Lots of close ups of EC playing a burst Telecaster!

I have never seen better and cleaner footage of early Clapton.

http://youtu.be/YfAHsiTHWfQ

DCAddy

As great as the Hyde park footage is, you can see why Clapton was swayed by the inspired rock and roll of Delaney And Bonnie not long after this.
Look up any D & B performance from '69 or '70 and it's great energetic music. The Blind faith and later Cream footage I've seen is pretty limp. You KNOW EC was pretty damn worn out. Stigwood milked every penny he could outta these acts.
Didn't seem to translate to vinyl though---Blind Faith ia a great record.

JRC4558Dude

What guitar is EC playing?
The Youtube video you posted actually shows a shot from the Hyde park gig, where EC has the sunburst Tele with a Strat neck.

Most stage shots from the Blind Faith tours (there was a US tour, and a European tour) usually show EC with the Tele, or a Firebird, or occasionally the ES335.

Winwood played a non-reverse Firebird.

frijoleghost

Silver Supporting Member
i saw them in oakland in august...eric on a 335

they were very disappointing

by contrast, i saw derek & the dominoes the following november and it was the best show ever

jcorrig

I was at that concert.I remember feeling really disappointed and Clapton was my hero.After Cream they sounded sort of bland.This recording actually sounds pretty good.Clapton played a black Les Paul

JohnLnyc

As great as the Hyde park footage is, you can see why Clapton was swayed by the inspired rock and roll of Delaney And Bonnie not long after this.
Look up any D & B performance from '69 or '70 and it's great energetic music. The Blind faith and later Cream footage I've seen is pretty limp. You KNOW EC was pretty damn worn out. Stigwood milked every penny he could outta these acts.
Didn't seem to translate to vinyl though---Blind Faith ia a great record.
You are not off the mark.
Clapton evolved in a major way after Cream.
The comparison with Blind Faith is not a very good one though I understand what you are saying. Blind Faith required far different playing from Clapton stylistically.

Blind Faith was IMOP-Stevie Winwood's band. He is such a talented singer, song writer and keyboard player he tends to dominate whatever musical situation he is in.

Cream was a powerful, free styled band (they presage fusion IMOP) with a bass player who tends to dominate any group he is in.....Cream was all about Bruce, Baker and Clapton driving each other.

Blind Faith was a much more traditional band--I really think they are way closer to Traffic than Cream.
Clapton was in the role of playing guitar in service of the songs not free styling with two maniacal free stylists!

I think the Hyde Park effort is superb (considering this was probably their first gig).

EC has never returned to his Cream days. Even the Reunion concerts were today's EC playing yesterdays music. The recent show's songs were played in a far more studied and less frenetic manner.

Delaney and Bonnie (and friends) were a rock the house Southern cooking get up and dance bar band outfit. There are really few up tempo Blind Faith songs. Clapton played rhythm in D and B and cut loose on the breaks. There were no songs with cut loose breaks from BF.

gman1951

Gold Supporting Member
i saw them in oakland in august...eric on a 335

they were very disappointing

by contrast, i saw derek & the dominoes the following november and it was the best show ever
Was the Derek and the Dominoes show at the Berkley Community Center (I believe Neil Schon was playing guitar as well)? If so, I saw those same shows and completely agree. The Cream show was ho hum; the Dominoes show was inspired. I also saw Eric with Delany and Bonnie at the Winterland Ballroon in between and that was a great show as well.

DCAddy

You are not off the mark.
Clapton evolved in a major way after Cream.
The comparison with Blind Faith is not a very good one though I understand what you are saying. Blind Faith required far different playing from Clapton stylistically.

Blind Faith was IMOP-Stevie Winwood's band. He is such a talented singer, song writer and keyboard player he tends to dominate whatever musical situation he is in.

Cream was a powerful, free styled band (they presage fusion IMOP) with a bass player who tends to dominate any group he is in.....Cream was all about Bruce, Baker and Clapton driving each other.

Blind Faith was a much more traditional band--I really think they are way closer to Traffic than Cream.
Clapton was in the role of playing guitar in service of the songs not free styling with two maniacal free stylists!

I think the Hyde Park effort is superb (considering this was probably their first gig).

EC has never returned to his Cream days. Even the Reunion concerts were today's EC playing yesterdays music. The recent show's songs were played in a far more studied and less frenetic manner.

Delaney and Bonnie (and friends) were a rock the house Southern cooking get up and dance bar band outfit. There are really few up tempo Blind Faith songs. Clapton played rhythm in D and B and cut loose on the breaks. There were no songs with cut loose breaks from BF.
Great points.
I didn't mean to compare Cream with BF--just to point out how drained EC seems during this period. Even Winwood's vocals are kinda hard to listen to compared to '71 era Traffic footage with the Muscle Shoals guys.
I remember reading about the bedraggled Cream on tour--pale and bony--meeting up with Stigwood's newest act--The Bee Gees--relaxed, tan, healthy and ready to conquer the world...
There's also late 70s footage of a chemically impaired Clapton calling out Stigwood on the Bee Gees deal. How Cream made it financially POSSIBLE for them to be courted and groomed for success. It's great...
I'm a big time Clapton head and his constant chamelion-like transformations have kept me guessing for years. I find the '66-'70 era most fascinating...

JohnLnyc

Great points.
I didn't mean to compare Cream with BF--just to point out how drained EC seems during this period. Even Winwood's vocals are kinda hard to listen to compared to '71 era Traffic footage with the Muscle Shoals guys.
I remember reading about the bedraggled Cream on tour--pale and bony--meeting up with Stigwood's newest act--The Bee Gees--relaxed, tan, healthy and ready to conquer the world...
There's also late 70s footage of a chemically impaired Clapton calling out Stigwood on the Bee Gees deal. How Cream made it financially POSSIBLE for them to be courted and groomed for success. It's great...
I'm a big time Clapton head and his constant chamelion-like transformations have kept me guessing for years. I find the '66-'70 era most fascinating...
Yeah the drugs did have a huge impact!
If you read Bobby Whitlock's autobiography--one of the best Rock autobios ever IMOP--you really get a great picture of EC in those days. Much much better than EC in his bio. Also it is clear Stigwood kept Clapton's career going through some difficult times.

I 've cited it here before but apparently, Delaney was a world class A-Hole. Whitlock at one point, having no money, sells his rights to the songs he wrote/recorded with EC on Layla for like $40K.

Later on Whitlock and Clapton were estranged and Whitlock again totally broke and destitute attends a Clapton concert. Eric sees Bobby sitting in the audience before the show and goes down to say hello and invites Whitlock and his wife backstage.

Learning Whitlock is totally broke, Clapton orders Stigwood to buy back Whitlock's share of rights (at this point we are probably talking a million or two dollars) and gives them back to Whitlock--saying something like: "Bobby these are just as much your songs as mine and you deserve any money they make."

Hard to find any faults with a guy like that!

DCAddy

Yeah the drugs did have a huge impact!
If you read Bobby Whitlock's autobiography--one of the best Rock autobios ever IMOP--you really get a great picture of EC in those days. Much much better than EC in his bio. Also it is clear Stigwood kept Clapton's career going through some difficult times.

I 've cited it here before but apparently, Delaney was a world class A-Hole. Whitlock at one point, having no money, sells his rights to the songs he wrote/recorded with EC on Layla for like $40K.

Later on Whitlock and Clapton were estranged and Whitlock again totally broke and destitute attends a Clapton concert. Eric sees Bobby sitting in the audience before the show and goes down to say hello and invites Whitlock and his wife backstage.

Learning Whitlock is totally broke, Clapton orders Stigwood to buy back Whitlock's share of rights (at this point we are probably talking a million or two dollars) and gives them back to Whitlock--saying something like: "Bobby these are just as much your songs as mine and you deserve any money they make."

Hard to find any faults with a guy like that!
That's an awesome story.
Bobby Whitlock is a true talent, my friend. EC knew this. BW was the secret weapon of the Layla sessions--his soulful voice and keys define the record just as much as Skydog's soaring slide work.
And, the back story of "Thorn Tree In The Garden" is so sad...

55hz

I was at that concert.I remember feeling really disappointed and Clapton was my hero.After Cream they sounded sort of bland.This recording actually sounds pretty good.Clapton played a black Les Paul
Hmmm...The Kossoff Black Custom?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom