• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

BLIND TEST! Friedman vs Axe Fx III vs Helix! (Reveal out now!)

Guitarjon

Hey all!

It's that time again, please join the fun!

This one has been requested for a while and I honestly think it's going to be very interesting! I'm going to compare my Friedman JJ JR (BE mode) tube amp to the Axe Fx III and the Helix, BLINDLY! So it's up to you guys to guess which one is which. I showed this to a friend who has very good ears prior to the release and he said he heard some pretty big differences between the sounds while I thought that the differences between some of them were VERY subtle. So I can't wait to find out how you guys experience this....

Have at it! ;)

And the reveal:

Last edited:

Gearzilla

Silver Supporting Member
These are always interesting.

I think another cool option in the future might be to add between 1 to 3 more examples in random order, and for viewers to try to match which ones are the same.

Will watch later in the day.

Last edited:

Foxmeister

Gold Supporting Member
1638890255167.png

glanum3

I’ll watch this with studio monitors later (phone doesn’t cut it). But I’m interested in differences in the feel and how the tracks from various monitors sit in a mix. Thanks for putting this together!

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
As usual I couldn't hear any obvious tells to my ears. I'm trying to listen for excess compression, mushiness, or weird tones and didn't hear them.

A was the most open sounding
B was a little darker than A
C was more mid focused than the others

I was listening closely and could hear what I'm assuming is a lot of digital compression artifacts in the high end which I'm assuming is YouTube. Would be curious to hear an uncompressed file to see if that's the case.

Guitarjon

If you want me to count your guesses for the reveal video, please also drop them in the comment section under the actual video. I will only count there to avoid duplicates. Cheers!

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
Anything I guess would be just that… Really, the main place I hear any sort of difference is in the lower chugging section that starts at about 5:50 (for the isolated tracks). The bass/lower mid response of A seems to be different than B or C to me. Beyond that, super close.

hotrats73

Silver Supporting Member
My guess is
A Helix,
B is the amp loaded down,
C Fractal

and this is just because I feel B sounded like an amp with a dummy load.
B & C are closer tonewise, A is more aggressive, raw, and this is why I think is the helix

Truth is I have no idea

Los-D

It's pretty quiet in some areas of the internet....
Not following JT's Pro Tip this time and making a guess:

A is the Helix

B is the Amp

C is the Fractal

Unless you purposely EQ'd that way, I think A has that HX upper-mids (not a bad thing necessarily) and was my least favorite when solo'd (still sounded great). I liked B the most (nice low end) and thought C sounded pretty good as well, but maybe a little weird in the high end (compared to B).

I liked all of them, a lot lol btw, especially in the mix. Great job!

:rockin

Trending Topics

Top Bottom