• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

BLIND TEST: Peavey 6505 vs Axe Fx III vs Helix! (Update: reveal posted)

Guitarjon

Hey all,

I couldn't help it, I had to do another one of these ;)

This one features the mighty Peavey 6505 (formerly known as the 5150), the Fractal Audio Axe Fx III and the Line 6 Helix. Let's see if you guys can guess which one is which! Of course you can leave a guess here but I would recommend also leaving your guess in the YouTube comment section of the video as those are the guesses that I will count for the reveal, which will most likely be posted on saturday! This should be interesting and fun since this is a sound that many of us are very familiar with.... Here we go:

UPDATE:

Last edited:

Guitarjon

Liked A the best...

My guess?

A 6505
B Helix
C Fractal
Thanks for dropping your guess! Did you also put that in the comment section? Because I can only count those for the reveal video since there otherwise isn't any real way of knowing if there were duplicate guesses.... Cheers!

glpg80

I’ll play.

Im going with:

A: Ax Fx III
B: 5150
C: Helix

My reasons: I tried to look for the tightest tracking recording as 5150s are notorious for their ability to stay tight with high gain. They have a full sound in the room but record very mid heavy.

Next, modelers have always had this odd djent tonality to the top end. The one with less is the AX FX as they’re doing better about it, the one with the most is the Helix IMO. When comparing modeler to modeler it’s a total crap shoot to my ears as they have such tweaking depth they can be dialed in to sound like anything really.

bme

oof

I'm saying
A amp
B helix
C ax fx

but i have no idea. I say B is the helix because in one section of the isolated clips, it sounded like it didn't have as much attack and it was a tad wishy washy compared to the other two.

I have no idea though. They're all really close!

Guru Meditation

With youtube's horrible compression it's an exercise in futility guessing what's what. But if I had to choose anyway, I'd say that C is the real amp. No idea about Fractal & Helix I just tried to guess which is the real amp.

Hush

Gold Supporting Member
All 3 sounded good to me. Only heard a subtle difference here and there. Too close for me to even take a guess. I think my ears are not what they use to be.

cheezit

First reaction:

Listening a bit more, A has just a bit more attack than either B or C. B and C sound identical to me.

But this is all a distinction without a difference - for all functional purposes, including putting down tracks and listening to them with a microscope - they are the same to me.

guitarlix

I love these blind tests...but no matter how many of these we do....proving the incredible parity of modelers to the actual amp and also modelers to each other....it won't matter. Most folks have already made up their minds apriori.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom