Blockhead First Born 18

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mrmojorisin, Aug 4, 2005.

1. mrmojorisin

mrmojorisin Member

For those of you who have patiently listened to me rave (many times) on this forum about my "magic" Blockhead First Born 18 (will have to be pried from my cold, lifeless fingers after I die), here is a link to a recording done with my amp by Tom Guerra of Mambo Sons (Tom and I live a few blocks apart).

http://www.mambosons.com/ourmusic.htm

The FB 18 is used for the leads on the track "SideWinder Walk". Its used elsewhere as well, and I'll get a list from Tom and post it here.

Carl

2. philster

philster Member

Hi Carl,

I really dig those tones. Raw but ohh so sweet. I loved the Blockhead 18 watter when I played it at Keith's, but never got a chance to try the firstborn. Killer!

3. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Ok, I have to ask cause I have seen threads like this before.

Why doesn't anyone make there own soundclips, especially if you love this amp. Why have someone else play your amp that you have been raving about?

The clips sound great!

4. alainguitars

alainguitars Member

I don't think that track really shows off the amp's tone. Too much studio delay and compression on the amp. Can't really hear the amp's natural qualities. My 2c.

5. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

My Blockhead Firstborn is a great amp.

:cool:

6. mrmojorisin

mrmojorisin Member

I used Tom's clips because he is a professional musician, selling CD's for dough, and I'm not!

Personally, I would always rather hear a great amp being played by a great guitarist, as opposed to a weekend wannabe (that would be me!), to get a better sense of the amps full potential.

As to the compression and delay, yes, the lead at the very end of the song is heavy on effects. But the lead in the middle of the song (about 2:00 in) is NOT, in my opinion, and shows off the raw character of the amp pretty well. Maybe you just listened to the lead at the end?

Carl

7. mrmojorisin

mrmojorisin Member

BTW, the guitar was run straight into the amp for this one. No boost or other boxes. The distortion is all natural distortion from the BH FB 18.

The other thing that is striking to me is that it sounds like a 50 watt head on the track. No issue at all relative to this little 18 watt amp sounding "small".

8. pm81

pm81 Member

Carl,

I really like the tone and the clip. Great sounding amp!

Paul

9. Phloored

Phloored Member

BH FB sounds so cool.

Wow and the DST UV6 is all over that disc too. And what is a DST U18CN ? Never heard of that one.

Carl your being modest, you can play lots of tunes.:dude

10. mrmojorisin

mrmojorisin Member

This was an amp I worked with Jeff and Bob at DST on. Two EL84, ss rectifier version of their U34-CL. The CN are my initials. Amp was SN 001. Half Marshall superlead, half Hiwatt. Completely different circuit than the Marwatt design. Its now being thoroughly enjoyed by Gary in Tennesee!

11. Phloored

Phloored Member

Great sound, it rips!

12. mrmojorisin

mrmojorisin Member

13. Riscchip

Riscchip Supporting Member

Sounds killer from here! :dude

14. I'll have to pick up the cd from Guitar 9. They don't seem like a typical Guitar 9 band though, I think of that label more for shredders. Thats not my bag though, would much rather listen to good songs, good guitar and vocals than endless guitar wanking.

:) vs. :dude