Blocking a floating bridge

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by wahfreak, Jul 28, 2006.

1. wahfreak

wahfreak Silver Supporting Member

I have an Anderson Drop Top with a Floyd. I wasn't using it much so I had my local luthier install a wooden block between the body and the trem assembly. Is there a better way to do this other than the block of wood? I really want more sustain so something that is solid (more solid than wood) would obviously work better. Is there any thing else out there that would help increase sustain with that set up? Preferably with as little damage or drilling as possible.

2. LaXu

LaXu Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with a block of wood. It's easy to make an exact fit out of it so the trem is blocked well. I don't think you'd gain much if any sustain by putting something else in there.

3. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

I agree.I usually use hard maple because it is dense and sand it to fit all the way down the block.

4. broknstuff

broknstuff Supporting Member

Another cool option is the tremol-no. I just put one in my Floyd rose equiped guitar and am loving it. To be honest I haven't checked it out to see how easily it switches from free floating to drop only to fixed bridge, but it doesn't seem like a hard piece of equpiment to work with. I had it installed by the tech while I was getting a setup done. I was getting kind of sick of having to deal with all the hassles of a floyd rose, so I'm really happy with having it blocked now.

5. Gary

Gary Member

I second the tremel-no, stupid easy to install, NO MODS to the guitar at all, he has a video on his site that shows exactly how to install it. You can go from hard tail, to free floating, to dive only, with a hard tail, all you gotta do is tighten two thumb screws, helps with changing strings also. May take 15 minutes at most to install. Really helps the guitar stay in tune, even with heavy wiggle stick use. Allparts sells em. Good luck, it's worth the price of admission, Gary

6. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Block of wood is what I've used.

I can't imagine anything better...

7. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

I'll echo the vote for wood. I've used hard woods such as maple and oak, but honestly I have not been able to discern a difference between those and softer woods such as pine. Pine is just so much easier to work with. Perhaps others will set me straight... we'll see! :D

8. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

How about a stack of coins? :)

Its "height-adjustable" and its metal, more solid than wood... just super glue them togehter, or tape them together... thats it....

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Your guitar is made from wood, so.......blocking with wood is the way to go.;)