Blog Post About iTunes/iCloud Horror Story

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Chrome Dinette, May 5, 2016.

1. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

i can't vouch for the accuracy of this, but it makes me feel better for resisting the notion of keeping anything in the cloud. Hell, I have physical copies of probably better than 95% of the music I own.

And, before someone says it, yes, I am sure this was all agreed to within the terms and conditions, but that's no reason to not point out what a lousy deal it is and maybe save someone else some grief.

https://blog.vellumatlanta.com/2016/05/04/apple-stole-my-music-no-seriously/

And the opposing view point:

http://m.imore.com/no-apple-music-not-deleting-tracks-your-hard-drive-unless-you-tell-it

Be careful out there.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    ripple likes this.
  2. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm not sure what options he had, but I've got Apple Music and iTunes match, and still all my music is sitting on my music drive, using a lot of space.

3. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

Yeah, I amended my post.

4. ripple

ripple To keep fresh, keep capped & cold. Silver Supporting Member

I'm generally a little paranoid of the tech giants, (and I'm a hoarder to boot), so I've duplicated all of the music in my digital library with a physical copy, if I didn't already have one on the shelf. Over 1000 albums worth of material.

Takes up a lot of space, but as long as I have access to electricity and a cd player (or turntable), I'll have access to my music.

Hell, one day I hope to start my own Guerilla Radio station...

Chrome Dinette likes this.
  5. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

Automated processes like this can be problematic. I'm no fan of the whole synchronization craze because of situations like the one described in the blog you linked to.

Physical media is underrated. It has saved me so often from issues, it's not even funny.

Some businesses have gone under taking all the content with them as they vanished. My Internet connection went down a few times preventing me from accessing anything whether it be music or hardware drivers. Leaving my data at the hands of a company which likes to examine its customers' info makes me uneasy as well.

I've personally bought a network storage device ("NAS") which has plenty of storage space, redundancy so my data is intact if one hard drive dies, its contents can be streamed from my home to wherever I am, and an Internet connection isn't necessary for me to stream audio throughout the house.

In my view, that was the best solution. Although initially costly, that was one of the best electronics-based decisions I've ever made.

Chrome Dinette and ripple like this.
  6. R2112

R2112 Member

Two immediate impressions:

1) As pointed out by others, this can't happen to you unless you let it and

2) The author lost all credibility at the initial mention of rare Fountains of Wayne B-sides.

Chrome Dinette likes this.
  7. taez555

taez555 Member

I have an iPhone and still refuse to use iTunes for my music.

Amazon Music's $25 a year 250,000 song storage Cloud is great. No synching or interfering with your computer. Upload what you want and organize.