Blond on blond Tele: aesthetics question - UPDATE

edward

Silver Supporting Member
For all you folks with a blackguard Tele (or otherwise a blonde body with maple neck), do you all stick with the black pick guard? Just curious, as I like mine, but am perhaps a bit aesthetically bored. Sure it's a "classic" look, but I'm curious as to what else you've all done to your blond Teles to change the look a bit?
Pics greatly appreciated! :D

Edward

Callaway 1

I stuck a brownish tortoiseshell guard on one I used to have seeing them nearly always in black just seemed too routine and leaving white one on just makes the guitar look like a biga$$ vanilla wafer. Butterscotch blond with a maple board pretty much screams "I'm pretty much not a slave to color on my guitar" on the first place. I did see a guy who had switched all his metal bits over to gold from stem to stern which changed the looks somewhat a little with a tortoiseshell guard. Sorry I don't have pics I ended up selling the guitar a few years ago it really was a reasonably good looking Tele by the time I offed it.

stratman89

Silver Supporting Member
I kinda like this one someone posted on another thread made by
Logan Designs

IMG_2022_zps0phtdjpw.jpg

There's many different "blondes" and associated colors (and versions of colors such as Desert Sand, Vintage White, aged Oly White) and what works best on one may look bleah on another. To make matters worse, people shoot images of their guitar under lighting conditions we're not hipped to so we may not realize what color we're being shown and we could give bad advice because of it.

The one most crucial bit of advice is to never, ever try to use a Mint Green pickguard on a guitar that's well into the yellow spectrum. Other things can be tried and might work but that's just out of bounds; promise.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
meh, makes 'em look like fender mexican classic '50s teles to me. (great guitars for the money, don't get me wrong...)

M

Member 1963

Theres a ebay seller in china that sells all sorts of variations including 3 ply 5 hole guards. They're quality as anything yet cheap (under $10 shipped) and they have a creme guard that i put on my classic 50's trans blonde. I think it looks great.

PixMix

Aesthetics are a matter of personal preferences, but to me, Fenders look best when there's some contrast in parts: body color contrasting the pickguard, the pickguard contrasting the fretboard color, fterboard contrasting with the body color. Again, to me, blond body with the maple board calls for a black pickguard.

rambleon

I currently have a blackguard and someone I know is sending me another butterscotch body. The second tele will be a white guard- butterscotch body, maple neck, parchment pick guard.

Ilduce

And now for something completely different!
Haven't used one myself, but I always thought that the brown tooled leather ones look pretty bad*ss!

AdmiralB

Butterscotch blond

Are we talking about butterscotch, Mary Kaye, or something else? Lots of area under the 'blonde' curve.

I can't stand butterscotch, it's a color I'll never own. Mary Kaye, OTOH, is always appropriate IMO and I'm good with either black or parchment furniture...tending to prefer the former on Teles and the latter on Strats.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom