Blond on blond Tele: aesthetics question - UPDATE

candid_x

DSC04329_zpsi4lzddvt.jpg

I got away from the Tortoise, the more I think about it, due to warping and they're normally just so thick. If not black or parchment, I'd think about aluminum. What makes those anodized aluminum pickguards so cool is how little they intrude into our "fingerspace" and aluminum suppresses e-noise like nothing else will. Check out what the great Bill Lawrence has written about the use of aluminum - very eye opening.

Both of mine have the classic Blackguard look. I tried a black plate on a white blonde C50s Tele, but the contrast was too great; white looked much better but doesn't work with BSB for me. A subtle and dark tortoiseshell might work with some variant of BSB, but as AdmiralB and Boris Bubbanov have stated the Fender blonde colour isn't carved in stone. My two in BSB are quite different from each other.

Last edited:

caspa

Nice Christmas present. I think I will definitely get one after seeing it on your guitar.

Thanks, it's a shame they use an arctic white MIM tele as their model on the site... looks pretty great on butterscotch. (My fiancé who thought the guitar was kind of ugly before actually commented that it looked great now)

I would recommend buying from Reverb by the way - they have ready-to-go models with different pickup configs.

stratman89

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks, it's a shame they use an arctic white MIM tele as their model on the site... looks pretty great on butterscotch. (My fiancé who thought the guitar was kind of ugly before actually commented that it looked great now)

I would recommend buying from Reverb by the way - they have ready-to-go models with different pickup configs.
My '52 RI 'Thin Skin' is butterscotch, that's perfect. I'll checkout Reverb.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
The classic early blackguard Tele is a thing of beauty and should not be desecrated! Lots of other great Tele looks too, of course, and if you want something different, get another one to go with the blackguard. Indisputable Tele logic.

Okay, I'd get a little crazy with now and then. Sometimes I like the blackguard look with the pickup switch over to the right, sometimes over to left. Gives it a certain je ne sais quoi, though I don't know what exactly.

Here, to cleanse the palate--

rtnocaster.jpg

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
Just to show that I'm not some kind of Luddite, here's something related, but not the same at all. A natural finish, not to be confused with BSB, with a white guard--
rt73tele.jpg

:banana

edward

Silver Supporting Member
Can confirm this looks pretty good... got one a few days ago for Christmas:

FullSizeRender-2_zpsjzewp1al.jpg
Yessir, that's what I was thinking! And yours looks suhweeeet!

OP here. FWIW, mine is a Baja (orig 50s style), so that's natural ash/maple with the factory black pg, so closer in look to Stevieboy's, post #28. I was thinking the above ^^^, but also the black with no-color paisley is what I'm leaning toward, or perhaps the dark silver paisley. So a pg with solid black maintains the traditional "blackguard" look albeit with a bit of subtle paisley left turn ;)

So check this out at and chime in, if you would, on my two options:
http://www.logandesignsusa.com/guitar-pickguards
Look at the center column, bottom two, the black with dark-silver paisley, or the black with the engraved pattern not "filled in" with color, so black paisley, as it were. I agree about visual contrast, which is why I'm keeping it black. I want to pull the trigger but can't decide between the black paisley or dark-silver paisley. Help push me over to one or the other, guys...
:D

Edward

Last edited:

o0Ampy0o

Mine came with white. I bought a black but have never installed it. I like the way a light colored guitar makes me feel when playing. I think the black looks classier but white looks good in a different way on a blonde/blonde Tele style guitar.

I believe you chose the two classiest pickguards. I think the filled in would be best. The other relies on angle to see the paisley. It looks good enough to wear as a badge. No reason to be subtler.

9f448d_10ed187f0a2f4d79b7a80fbee6eefc0a.jpg

Last edited:

edward

Silver Supporting Member
Mine came with white. I bought a black but have never installed it. I like the way a light colored guitar makes me feel when playing. I think the black looks classier but white looks good in a different way on a blonde/blonde Tele style guitar.

I believe you chose the two classiest pickguards. I think the filled in would be best. The other relies on angle to see the paisley. It looks good enough to wear as a badge. No reason to be subtler.

9f448d_10ed187f0a2f4d79b7a80fbee6eefc0a.jpg

Argghhh!!! OK, you pushed me over the edge :)
(PSA: they are offering $1 shipping right now)

I pulled the trigger on the black with the dark-silver paisley ^^^. I was leaning toward the all-black-non-filled-in one, but I think you're right about not needing to be subtle. Afterall, a blond tele is already subtle in its own right; I may as well give it a bit of a hairstyle ;)

Sidenote and a chuckle: man what a silly, superfluous purchase! That's what I get for being bored and having a few Christmas bucks left over. I'm unsure whether I should count my blessings or slap myself for being a conspicuous consumer! Yikes...
:D
Edward

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom