Blonde (6G6-B) Bassman -- Best Speaker/Cabinet Match up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lochry, Dec 26, 2009.

1. lochry

lochry Member

I love my 6G6-B.

Describe best speaker combination you've heard with this amp.

2x10?
    2x12?
    4x12?

Open?
    Closed?
    Ported?

Jensen?
    Celestion?
    Weber?

Please be specific. (Post pics if you have 'em)

2. chenette

chenette Supporting Member

I'd like to know this as well.

3. Roe

Roe Member

2x12s are the classic combo. 10s would be better if you like faster attack and a little less low bass. celestions or rather scumbacks sound really nice with this amp.

4. devbro

devbro Member

I've tried many different cabinet and speaker combinations with by 6G6-B and I guess it depends on what you want the amp to do and what style you play. Lately, I've been drawn to speakers that add no color to the amp. I've had great results with an Avatar 2x12 open back with a pair of 8 ohm EVM12L wired to 4 ohms. I get some nasty bark or stellar warm cleans using these. The 6G6-B loves a 4 ohms cab :D

5. Robertito

Robertito Member

I have a 6G6-B in a 1 x 12" combo cab, and right now it's going through a Vintage 30, which sounds very nice. I actually prefer the Weber Blue Dog 50w - the sag seems to match the response of the amp better. Next I'll try the Celestion Gold.

6. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

I used to own one of these heads - great sounding amps! My favorite cab with that amp was a Marshall 4x10 slant cab loaded with Celestion G10L-35's (I think that was the speaker model). I believe these cabs were from the Valvestate line, can't remember the cab model number. The 6G6-B sounded fantastic through that Marshall 4x10!

7. lochry

lochry Member

Thanks for the input. I decided to experiment with a 4x10.

Used an old closed back, unported Crate cabinet, 24 x 24 x 14. Tried out lots of speakers, loads, positions, configurations. Here's what I ended up with.

• On bottom, 1 Fane axiom (100 watt alnico) and 1 Celestion Gold (50 watt alnico).

• On top, two of those blow-out THD 10s recently liquidated on ebay (20 watt ceramics). (The THDs are not nearly as efficient as the other speakers, so gave them the top bunk.)

I wired the THD's in series (8 to 8) for a 16 ohm load. The Fane and the Celestion are each 16 ohms. Wired the resulting three 16 ohm loads in parallel for a 5+ ohm load -- close enough to 4 ohm to hit the sweet spot on the 6G6-B OT.

Does it sound good? YEAH! Huge low end, thanks to the Fane (this is the version made in the 90s -- not so great on its own, but excels when mixed with other speakers). Great attack. Lots of detail. Tried it with and without fiberglass batting. Ended up keeping batting as it helps the blend and balance (don't know why, it just does).

I guess 4x10s are in the Bassman's genes, even the post-tweed models. I am surprised how good it sounds.

8. ROKY

ROKY Member

Mine is a 6G6-A and I was favoring a pair of Celestion Gold alnicos in an avatar Premier Vintage 2x12
    but I got a pair of Classic Lead 80 yesterday and swapped them in rotating the Golds
    to another cab .

I really dig the Lead 80s w/ this amp - loud, punchy, no heavy mid coloration - very
    balanced speakers that let this unique circuit shine

The Golds are outstanding with it as well; in fact, I've found that many Celestions
    sound great with this circuit, but I've never tried the Lead 80's and they really are
    working out nicely, too .

9. StevenEsqTwo

StevenEsqTwo Member

I have two of these amps. My favorites are the vintage C12N in closed back and this combo cab (on the right) built by JD Newell with two 1958 black frame P12Q organ pulls. GREAT amp!

[​IMG]

10. ROKY

ROKY Member

How much did the Bassman combo cab cost you ?

It's a beauty .

11. StevenEsqTwo

StevenEsqTwo Member

I had it made a few years ago now. I can't remember the exact price but JD is always extremely reasonable. I was probably around $250-300 bucks, in that range. It turned an orphaned head chassis into a highly giggable/portable combo. This amp gets raves from everyone who plays it. The alnico speakers and open back cab really compliment the circuit.

12. Griz

Griz Member

I have a '62 blonde Bassman. I've heard it through a Matchless open back 2x12 and through a Marshall basketweave 4x12 with greenbacks (both wired to be switchable between 16 and 4 ohms). Sounded great through either of those cabs.

IIRC the Marshall 4x10 mentioned by Deaj is an 8 ohm cab. That's pretty safe to use with the 4 ohm Bassman?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  13. ROKY

ROKY Member

I've ran my '62 into my 8 ohm 4X10, but nor for any extended periods of
    time, as I was always a 'lil paranoid about stressing the OPT .

14. ROKY

ROKY Member

Thanks, I'll have to give him a shout and see what he says .

15. homebrewer99

homebrewer99 Member

I'm currently using a matching blonde Fender 2x12 closed back cabinet loaded with Scumback H55/H75 speakers. Love it!

16. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Member

I just stumbled onto this thread,

I was wondering if anyone has used a set of Greenbacks or the equivilent (maybe even the higher powered scumback M magnet varieties) in a closed back 2x12 with a 6G6-B? Just wondering what how the more inefficient speaker reacts to the faster response of the bassman? I've been thinking about celestion style alnico speakers too, but not sure how they'd react in a closed back cab situation.

It seems that most repro manufacturers either match the cabs with V30's or Jensen reissues.

I'm defnitely trying to steer more towards the Wildflowers era Tom Petty, and Jay Bennett era Wilco tones with this amp. I guess it didn't hurt that the Beatles, all of them it seems used this amp from the mid 60's on to 1970. Then it was used on Lennon and Harrison solo recordings!

I LIKE THAT!:dude

17. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I LOVED my 6G6-B. Always ran it's original 2x12 cab, but at the time preferred a Celestion V30 / CL80 combination over the stock Jensens. The V30 added spank and sparkle while the CL80 added a wooden, almost nasal tone. The 2 together just worked!

Nowadays, I would be inclined to try the Warehouse Guitar Speakers equivalent of a G1265 and V30 combination. I ran a WGS ET65 with a V30 in another amp for a while, and the thought crossed my mind several times how cool that configuration would sound with an old Bassman 2x12.

18. matchless

matchless Silver Supporting Member

I like mind thru my 2-12 matchless cab also

19. m@2

m@2 Member

20. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Supporting Member

I've used mine through an Avatar 2x12 cab with two Celestion Heritage G12-65's. It sounds superb both open back and closed back.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011