blonde bassman question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by chenette, Feb 1, 2008.

1. chenette

chenette Supporting Member

Hi,
    I'm looking at buying a blonde bassman head. It has a replacement OT. How big a deal is that, will it affect the sound or value?
    Thanks

2. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

A replacement tranny will definetely affect the value of the amp. The OT more so than the PT. The OT has a HUGE effect on the tone of the amp. Do you know what kind of replacement OT was installed?

But, all that said - don't let it stray you from a great amp. Blonde and BF Bassman heads are my personal favorite amps of all time. Blondes are absolutely amazing amps. Play through it if you can. If it does it for you - you're set.

3. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

Well what I always say, some people buy vintage equipment to look at and others buy it to play it.
    The people buying just to look at it are always willing to pay more than the people that want to play it.
    If you are going to play it and it has a good quality output tranny then go for it. Otherwise you can get a good Mercury tranny yourself for it.

4. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Market note: The purchase price should already reflect the replaced OT. From there, you won't take a hit on re-sale.

Music note: If it's an appropriate replacement, Blondies are totally wonderful amps. Classics for a reason!

=K

5. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Agree 100% with this post and Sdgvintage's.