Blonde Tremolux is here!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by inscho, Oct 1, 2006.

1. inscho

inscho Senior Member

So I they let me into guitar center 15 minutes before they opened to pick this baby up.

I took it apart and looked around for anything suspicious (to the best of my knowledge). there is a hole drilled into the back of the chassis near the vibrato plug...maybe someone tried to mod it at one point?

The tolex is curling up in a lot of places...what is the best adhesive for tolex?

it still has the 2 prong cord of death which will need to be replaced and it will probably need a cap change, everything looks pretty old on the board......how much does a full recap, retube and 3 prong installation normally run?

also it has 6v6's instead of 6l6's :freak:...is this a normal thing? I didn't think you could run 6v6's without some modifications...and can I put 6l6s in there without problems?

can someone more knowledgeable let me know what they think? anything seem unoriginal? I really don't know enough of amp internals to tell original from completely bastardized :(

the amp has a fairly early breakup...around 4/5, and its at moderate volume because its only 30-35 watts? Its the 6G9A, I don't know much of tremoluxes....but it sounds fantastic!

all in all I am very happy! especially for $550. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Does the tube chart say 6L6 or 6V6?

3. inscho

inscho Senior Member

6l6.

4. inscho

inscho Senior Member

what speakers should I try in my 2x12 open back cab? preferrably from the eminence line......:confused:

5. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

I would not fire that amp up for an extended amount of time till you have had a competent tech look at it.

For an amp like that, no point in being hasty.

M.E.

6. inscho

inscho Senior Member

I fired it up before I bought it :D

everything works well...but I plan to have it ran through as soon as I get the funds.

7. devbro

devbro Member

Killer deal:AOK
    I'd replace all the electrolytic caps and put in a 3 prong power cord right off the bat. Those are original Astron's and are probably on borowed time. It looks like the Bias cap has been replaced. Also, I wonder the choke is on the underside?

What does the tube chart say tje circuit is?

8. inscho

inscho Senior Member

6G9A.

and yeah, the choke's placement is a puzzler :rotflmao

how much should I expect for a recapping and 3 pronger?

9. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

If it were me...

I wouldn't recap it until something sounds wrong. Time and time again I've gotten vintage amps back from recapping, only to find that I prefered the old caps.

10. inscho

inscho Senior Member

but if I wait for a cap to go, don't I run the risk of killing the power transformer?

11. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

A decent cap job by a good tech shouldn't run you more than $100 bucks or so.

12. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

SWAMP THANGS!

Or maybe Tonkers. Maybe one of each!

13. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I don't know. The blonde Tremolux is one amp we have that really likes 210. We use the original 210 that came with it, but it likes other 210s too.

14. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'd probably get Weber's P10Qs or P12Q or C12Q. I'm running mine thru an open back cab with a pair of C12Qs and I really like the sound (the P12s broke up a little too early for me). I wouldn't recap till necessary. I would play it quietly for a while to let the caps recondition. Nice score! Oh yea, and get those 6L6s outa there, it's going to sound better with a nice pair of 5881s...

15. taylorooney

taylorooney Active Member

nice amp dude. i love those. leave it alone.

16. inscho

inscho Senior Member

got some JJ's on the way as well as the cap pan and 3 prong cord.....

any more opinions on speakers in an open-back 2x12? budget minded....I'll probably get a 2x10 with webers later down the road when finances allow it.

17. devbro

devbro Member

If you're going to gig with it, those caps present a real reliability issue. as long as you carry a spare amp though, you'll be ok. FWIW, I just replaced all the electrolytics in my '63 blonde Bassman and it actually tightened up the bottom a little which was a little flabby.

18. inscho

inscho Senior Member

I won't have a gig in a couple of months....but i will definitely have it recapped before then....I've spent the better part of today getting estimates from techs in the area.