Blonde tremolux

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by grantster, Jun 23, 2008.

1. grantster

grantster Member

I was wondering what people think of the Fender blonde Tremolux amps. I was also curious as to what a head and cab are worth. Your thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Grant

2. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

i had a KIILER one - w/ a matching 1-12" cab w/ the "tone ring".

It was a pretty amazing amp

I later bought a '65 tremolux w/ a 2-10 cab. Equally great but much cleaner sounding but incredibly great. I sold it to Chris Rodriguez who still counts it among his best amps

I made a mistake selling both amps :nono

3. louderock

louderock Member

I have one. Blonde with oxblood grill cloth. Sounds great. Nice smooth gain when you turn it up to 7 with a Les Paul. Mine had 2 10" JBL's (not original) that I pulled and put in 2 Eminence Ragin Cajuns. They sound great. Very simple design that sounds really good. Not a lot of headroom up front like a Super Reverb, but a tube screamer or Fulldrive still works well.

4. jcs

jcs Member

i've got a 63 tremolux (6g9b circuit) ,more like a lower powered marshall in tone but loves pedals which is a huge plus.

absolutely not much headroom,but with efficient speakers can deliver many great rock sounds as well as heavier blues stuff (free-humble pie)..

5. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Great amps but like the others said not big on clean headroom.The value depends on condition and which circuit.There were blonde 6G9,6G9A,6G9B and AA763.The later is really the blackface circuit in "leftover" blonde tolex.The 6G9 is a rare amp which uses EL84's and a single 10" speaker;these can bring between $2600. and $3200.in exc.original condition.The 6G9A,B and the AA763 in the same condition will bring $1800.-$2200.

6. frank62

frank62 Member

^So then, not to hijack, but the Tremolux was the fist EL84 Fender and the the current PJ, BJ amps. Does anyone here have one? I would like to see some gut shots of that baby!

7. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Great classic Fender amps, IMO. I've seen one or two of the 6G9s for sale, and they do indeed bring a bit more money than the 6L6GC versions. I've never heard one though - I would really like to check one out sometime.

8. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

The 6G9-B is a great amp and the best of the Tremolux amps IMO.

<M

9. frank62

frank62 Member

^Who has one? I have never seen one and even heard of them until today. With all the EL84 maddness these days I am surprised this circuit has not been cloned or offered as a kit by someone.

10. grantster

grantster Member

I recently played one with a Marshall Drive Master pedal and Wow, did it sound mean. It sounded more Marshall. I was quite surprised. I could not tell which circuit it was. The tube chart was gone but it was blonde with standard black fender control knobs. Maybe 1963 or 1964 with 6L6 tubes.
    I have heard they are quite popular in many studios with 4 x 12 cabs for rock.

Grant

11. mbratch

mbratch Member

What they're worth depends upon condition, etc. A nice vintage Blonde Tremolux head goes for around $800 to $900 on the eBay market. A nice matching Blonde Tremolux head and cab go for around $1,600. I've seen them go for a bit more or less in some cases.

12. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

The band Bush used to use them a lot, I've always felt they had pretty decent tone.