Bloomfield tone

What will get that Mike Bloomfield tone on Maggie's Farm at Newport in '65. I have an old Tele and an Esquire into a '66 Bassman but his tone sounds pretty dirty. Would there be a fuzz on that? If not what would be a good overdrive to push my amp into that territory (I never get to crank my Bassman, it's too loud for the venues we play)

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Baja Tech Bone Bender and am wondering whether I'd be able to get some of these sounds with it all.

Cussion

I think Bloomfield's early tone was all about a small cranked amp. A Guild Thunderbird if I remember right.
But you should get close with any 1x12 6V6 style amp. Try a Tweed Deluxe or Gibson GA-40.

Lampasas

I also dig Bloomfield. If you want to push your Bassman slightly into fuzz territory without getting too crazy, I'd try an Overdriver clone. I use a Prescription Electronics version for that very purpose (through a BF Deluxe). The amp needs to be already running pretty hot, though, for the Overdriver to sound good.

Cussion

+1

I tried my Overdriver clone through a SF Twin Reverb once. Sweet! As said, the amp has to be quite loud to sound good with the pedal.

Cussion

Didn't he use like 2 twin reverbs together in series?
Yeah, but that was later on. With the Electric Flag.

In the beginning with Butterfield he played a rosewood neck Telecaster thorugh a Guild amp.
"East West" era he played a Goldtop Les Paul through a Super Reverb (I believe)

He used an Acoustic amp and a Vox Super Beatle for a while as well.
Later, in the '70s he used Strats and Teles through various Twin Reverb amps.

On some Electric Flag stuff it sounds like he used a fuzz pedal. Don't know which model though. Maybe a Maestro fuzztone?

Franklin

Gold Supporting Member
My question is why Bloomfield isn't a household name... My fav tone I think is the LP trough a cranked Fender.

monstermike

The sound you're looking for is your Bassman cranked loud enough to piss off the folkies. Failing that, you could get a smaller amp.

Trending Topics