Bloomin' Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Termigator308, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Termigator308

Termigator308 Supporting Member

OK guys, i've seen you write of amps that "bloom" such as a mesa studio 22+. I believe it has to do with "sag" of the rectifier. My question for you experts is: I'm looking for the greasiest, swampiest, down right dirty 'blooming amp'. What is out there that will do this?

2. jwri9790

jwri9790 Member

Maybe a 5E3 or another tweed amp?

3. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

As far as greasy tones, I love these 2 demos by a user here, LPVM, nasty but they got that little bit of bloom that's just makes it so fun.

4. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Member

in my very limited experience having an old octal in the pre and PI positions helps

5. Roe

Roe Member

It depends on many factors, notably the power supply. It shouldn't be too stiff

6. corn husk bag

corn husk bag Silver Supporting Member

I agree. Picked up 2 of the 1482 and an old Bogen altered by Skip Simmons. Fits the bill!

Kind Regards,
    Steve

7. Termigator308

Thanks guys. Wow can not believe the silvertone demo, Sears amp ,really. Boggles the mind what would probably be considered cheap not so desireable amp sounds so good. Keep em coming.

8. logdrum

logdrum Member

The trick with these 2-4 EL84 Mesas is to score yourself some older power tubes, like Amperex or Brimar. Because they clip smoother.I have seen a DC-2 Mesa that has been modified to have 54UG rectifier and blooming indeed.

The Blue Angel and Maverick are bloomy little Mesas but you need the right speakers to react properly.

9. Termigator308

Thanks again. Any others that fit the bill?

10. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Man those both sound cool... I especially dig that Masco.
    I personally think of "bloom" as a byproduct of a natural overdrive, saggy power supply and speaker compression. That effect that occurs when you strike a note or chord and the initial attack "clamps" just a bit, then the note swells as it is released & sustains.

I agree about the tube rectifier being a factor... something like a 5Y3 or 5R4 that drops a lot of voltage can give a looser feel. I feel (and some will disagree) that Alnico speakers also contribute more compression to the mix and can help achieve that sound.

And while I have limited experience with Octal Triode preamp tubes, I would agree with one of the posters above that an octal like a 6SN7 doesn't hurt to achieve a fat, round sound (especially if you are using something in V1 to hit them a little harder... which I do in my home built amp)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  11. GLB98

GLB98 Member

God that Masco is awesome, I love it. A dumb question: what breed of conventional guitar amp does it most resemble ? It's not Marshally (and Marshall is generally the tone I go for) so what is it? Fenderish? What kind?

12. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

I'd put it more in the Dumble, Trainwreck or may even Gjika realm. If I remember correctly it's old push/pull 6L6G circuit probably modded a bit. Can't remember if it's got octal preamp tubes or not. Larry Carlton runs a Bloudotone (never can spell that right) clone of a Dumble. Might look at some the Red Iron amps.

GLB98 likes this.
  13. Termigator308