Blown away by a cheep OD pedal today

harpinon

I try to treat the FBM-1 as a refined overdrive pedal, not as a magic box that can transform a Princeton, Blues Jr. or Class 5 into a 4X10 tweed late '50s Bassman. No pedal can achieve that, obviously.

It's good for what it is. It can lend an amp a 'bigger, more 3-D' sound that a tubescreamer or a blues driver simply can't. I enjoy the 'bright' input (nice touch, Boss).

Fun pedal.
Right on. It was through a Dr Z M 18 I think it was called.
I'm sure thru some amps it's garbage but at that moment it was pure magic. And that was jus t after messing with a Morning Glory a White Light and a few other TGP faves.

Coldacre

DeMarco is silly, but he's undeniably a fabulous player. It seems like I heard of him from somewhere. We can mock him all we like, but the fact is...he can wipe the floor with most of us.
whatever skills he has as a guitarist are completely undermined by him talking like its an episode of Wayne's World. SHA-WIIIING!

BillyK

I haven't been back here on TGP for quite a long time. I just looked down the list of threads and I picked this one to read - don't know why really. I watched that "demo" and the responses here are absolutely hilarious.

Thanks for the entertainment. I've missed the wit around here. Gotta spend more time on TGP!

harpinon

Official OP Report:

I got my 59 bassman pedal yesterday from a cheep eBay buy.
Plugged it in to my Pure 64 and what did I hear....

A sound. An unusual sound. Not the one I heard at the guitar store no.
This was different. The sound I heard at the guitar store playing it through a Dr. Z sounded heavenly. The sound I got yesterday sounded like it came from hell.
It kind of sounded like live gerbils being run through a meat grinder.

Note to self: never ever ever never try out any pedal through a Dr. Z.

BillyK

This thread continues to entertain.
Thanks guys!

Harpinon: sorry to hear about your situation.

StormJH1

I'm NOT a fan of BOSS...
but I gotta say the new BC-2 is an awesome pedal for the price !!!!

BOSS would probably sell more of the FBM-1 if they had a better video...
Demarco is NUTS...
Agree on the BC-2 Combo Drive! The Power Stack came out a year before (and it looks almost identical to the Metal Core). I had high hopes for that pedal, until I brought it home and realized that it models three different amps, and the mids are screwed up on all three of them, with no mid control. There are countless other dirtboxes for under $100 that do better "Marshall" tones than the Power Stack, I'm sad to say.

But the Combo Drive is different. Does the chimey Vox "U2" thing on the lower settings, and breaks up nicely. The higher gain stuff is a little more hit and miss, but I think it's usable. I actually like it as a clean boost/modder, and it does it for half the price of a Catalinbread CB30. I don't expect everyone to go out and buy one, but if you're at Guitar Center, don't hesitate to check it out!

dshobe

Rocky Mountain Way
Silver Supporting Member
Ha, harpinon, did something similar last week. Went to my favorite shop to see what had come in. They had a slew of TGP approved pedals! Alright I said, let's try them out! I ran them through a '69 Fender Champ. The Cosmichorus sounded surreal, but $220 for a chorus? I couldn't justify it. The Wampler Faux Analog Echo was amazing and if not for my Timeline I would have bought it.

What really floored me though was a Barber Direct Drive, just incredible amp like drive tones. It was mine. A buddy who works there begged me not to buy it because he "needed" it. So I thought let's run it through a rig similar to his. I plugged it into a Vox VT 120. I couldn't get a good sound out of it. Really opened my eyes (ears). If you don't have a great base no pedal is gonna fix it.

Trending Topics