Blown away by a Sunburst Martin D28

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by teleamp, Feb 4, 2008.

1. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

I was in a local music store Saturday and played a D18 and D28SB, the D18 was OK, but the sunburst D28 was great. First of all, the sunburt finish is awesome, and I like that it is a two-tone burst (I don't like red in a sunburst). Second, the feel was what you would expect from a nice dread. And finally, the sound, it was well balanced with plenty of bass and punch.

Anybody have one of these?

MikeY

2. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I do and I love it! (d28 marquis amberburst)
    [​IMG]

3. Ogre

Ogre Member

Hey Mike. Bill Browder here. I am not frequently that impressed with new Martins. I did play a couple of D18 Authentics that were excellent. I would drop by Guitar Rez and play any of their Santa Cruz dreads and see how that Martin stacks up.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  4. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

I was at Rez today and did try a Santa Cruz, very nice, but I'll have to sell quite a few amps to get one....

MikeY

5. scadet

scadet Member

Hi Teleamp,

Just found this thread and I am considering a sunburst d28 myself. If this message reaches you, can you please let me know if you ended up buying one (or a Santa Cruz). I would love to know your impressions.

Thanks,
    John

6. teleman1952

teleman1952 Member

[​IMG]

My HD28. I bought this at GC during their Memorial Day sale and got it for a real good price.
    It is understandable why Martin has been around for so long.

7. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

I went to our local Martin dealer yesterday and played all the models they had in stock.

Of course the one that blew me away was the D-42. Mind blowing.

Second best was a D16r. They didn't have a D28, which is the one I went in there looking for.

Anyone know the best place to buy? The local guy was set on the MAP price, but I know there must be places that do better.

8. Uniphasian

Uniphasian Member

I play a Sunburst D-28 made in the 90's (I forget the exact year), but it's a model they called the "1935 Special" that is built with the advance bracing of the pre-war Martins. I love the finish on this guitar - it has sunk down into the spruce on the top and looks to be hair thin. The guitar has a great punch that I didn't discover until I'd played it for about a year or so. If I hit it just right, a strong downward stroke on a chord has a chop like a mando chop.

I don't necessarily love the Martin sunburst finish, but the guitar sounds great. Here's a (not so great) picture:

[​IMG]

My favorite, by far, is my 1937 D-18. Not as strong in the rhythm department as the 1935 Special, but this one is very well balanced, is very loud and sparkly:

[​IMG]

If you get the Sunburst, take care when playing it in the sun. That dark finish will warm up the guitar which may open the top seam. I've been dealing with that for some time now...

9. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

Anyone looking to buy a Martin can't go wrong with Jon at www.myfavoriteguitars.com

I bought my OMC aura from him and he was great to work with and responded to my emails in a flash. He also has the best prices.

10. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

That's where I got mine. Also Maury's Music is just as good too!

11. Elmo David

Elmo David Member

I have a new,2009, Marquis D-28 Sunburst. Had it about a month and purchased from Chris Jensen of Jensen Guitar in Santa Barbara, Ca. The guitar is still opening up but I can offer that this dread is the finest of them all. I had checked out the D-41 and was about to go for it... then I went to Telluride and the Bluegrass festival where I got to hear a multitude of amazing D-28s on stage. I was about to buy the HD28 Herringbone when I played the Marquis Sunburst at Jensen. It virtually blew away the HD28. even more projection of mids and bass, much more pickable with the wide V neck, and the sunburst and all the vintage appointments make this a true 1935 version (which one can actually afford due to east indian rosewood instead of brazilian). I'm not sure what the gripe about the sunburst finish is as mine is stunning and understated in a way that I absolutely love. Perhaps Martin changed the finish a bit by now but it's absolutely gorgeous. But the sound is where things really end up. This guitar has the best balanced acoustic sound of any guitar I've ever played or heard played. The projection is amazingly strong and pure. I had given some thought at first to putting a pickup in it, but after finding that due to the build it can only take a soundhole pickup, and that it sounded so great through and external mic if at all(!) that I've decided to keep it stock and pure. It absolutely blows away my Taylor and vintage 1969 Gibson. In fact I never play any of my other guitars now and think I'll sell the Taylor 614ce for sure. The one complaint I have with this guitar is a visual design issue. Martin has put a "post it note" style, white label in the soundhole, which is not even signed by CFMartinIV. with everything else done to perfection in the vintage look, feel and sound department, the white post it note label glares out of the soundhole in a really obnoxious, attention getting way. I am about to remove it as there was no paper label of its kind in the 1930s Martins and in almost ruins the dark, lovely vintage look. Otherwise this guitar is the GODHEAD. Also, I should say that Chris Jensen of Jensen Guitar in Santa Barbara, is an amazing Martin dealer with an shop in the same place since the 1970's. He has a wonderful collection of Martins and gave me the best price and service of anyone, on or off line.

12. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

I am a highly enamoured idiot for a sunburst Martin dreadnaught!!! Having seen a couple of Norman Blake's and ones belonging to the late genius, Charlie Sawtelle, there is no alternative for me. Currently, I am on a search for a used sunburst D-18VS (12 fret neck).

A statement in your post has me curious: ...due to the build it can only take a soundhole pickup...". Can you elaborate on this?

13. gravy

gravy Member

just picked up a D16RGT Custom in vintage sunburst off CL, nice guitar, nice price!