Blown away by the Axe III with IEM's for monitoring

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by tvegas99, Jun 3, 2019.

1. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

Ewww shipping and tax

2. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

considering how much I spent on heads, cabs, cables, speakers, power attenuators, etc... even at 3k you could make a case for it being TOTALLY worth it, but talking about budget is really not interesting to me

one of my main points of the thread was/is I feel using a good IEM might be the most important part to hearing the difference... maybe that's a captain obvious statement... I'm sure good FRFR's and studio monitors could deliver the same experience

if I was using $125 Shure IEM's (I used some for years) I know I would not notice a difference
    when I listen via my Alto TS210 I do not notice a difference
    when I listen via the raw cab sound out to my Power Station and into a 2x12 cab... I don't notice a difference

FWIW

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    vinceh, Gasp100, Mark Al and 2 others like this.
  3. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

As someone who has a II and a III and regularly uses both, I too am hyper skeptical of claims regarding the III vs II, since most of the claims do not ring true.

There seems to be some subtle ‘clarity’ thing happening overall with the III that does seem preferable generally. I do think that is ‘real’ but, TBH, it borders on placebo. They are ‘different’ when dialing but I am not of the mind that this difference should be taken as “betterness”. IMHO.

I think there may have been some accuracy to the original amps type improvements/updates esp for low gainers but unless you have the amp there or can perceive the delta I don’t know if it is a big factor for me. It is nice that Fractal continuously brings these even they are not difference makers for me and are only small steps closer to perfection.

Other than that it is mostly power, ease of use, new features (cab block anyone?). I to II was a much bigger leap and even then I had some tones on I that were just “there”.

JiveTurkey, yeky83, tvegas99 and 3 others like this.
  4. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

Yeah, I think a "better" FRFR would give you the same experience. Nothing like connecting with gear and having a good time. I played a lot through headphones the first 1 1/2 years of owning Helix, but then it's been regular FRFR and for the last 5-6 month, Powercab plus. Love the interaction and feedback. Makes me play differently, but Powecab still provides the control that a normal Poweramp and cab won't give me, plus all the features.

Think it would be a bit hard to start using IEM at this point, but no doubt that modelers make a lot of sense in that regard. The III looks like a box of fun. Enjoy! :)

tvegas99 and Guitardave like this.
  5. hippietim

hippietim Member

Who would know better than you?

fretworn likes this.
  6. JiveTurkey

Have Pat and Ejecta ever posted at the same time?

[​IMG]

:waiting

[​IMG]

:D

(he asked with love)

7. FractalMB

FractalMB Vendor

Glad to hear this!! Thank you!

tvegas99 likes this.
  8. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

Well, you of course! Argue all you want Tim, you're wrong on this one.

9. Pat6969

Who is Ejecta? I know not of this person!

JiveTurkey likes this.
  10. JiveTurkey

I LOVE YOU BOTH! :beer

11. Pat6969

Seems my reputation precedes me! LOL. :love:

JiveTurkey likes this.
  12. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Glad you are finding the III inspiring!

So your observations make a lot of sense. I've had all of the major modelers and thru a guitar cabinet the differences between units (and tube amps) mostly disappear. Guitar speakers/cabinets allow far more things to sound great.

And regardless of modeler platform I prefer guitar cabinets to using any other monitoring method.

I've reverted back to using a small combo amp on stage with a mic as needed. I find it way simpler than any other approach so why fight it.

But I'll use whatever makes sense for the gig. I'm thrilled the tech has improved so much that it's easy to use and sounds great.

Toowoombaus likes this.
  13. hippietim

hippietim Member

Say whatever you need to stop your tears.

:rotflmao

14. Pat6969

Gotta hand it to you man, you just don’t give up. That’s one thing I’ve noticed about you on this site, the other is you’re always right. Country on!:dude

15. hippietim

hippietim Member

You seriously need to tell that to the man in the mirror.

16. Mark Al

Mark Al Member

Back to original topic, @tvegas99 I absolutely agree that high quality IEMs reveals subtle difference that is much harder for speaker/PA to do... Hence for live usage, especially non-IEM, all-in-one unit like Helix is really hard to beat.

That being said, I spent a lot of time practicing with IEMs late at night, which is way better than playing amp/Cab/FRFR in low volumes (However nothing beats playing with certainly open volume with either FRFR/Cab :)

I am curious what's the IEM are you using? How doe it compare to other IEMs you tried in your experience? I tried quite a few headphones including Beyer DT880 both 250 and 600 versions, HD650, Shure SE846, ER4SR, and quite a few more... In the end, I settled on Etymortic ER4SR which sounds most accurate and flat to my ear. Some headphones like SE846 sounds amazing for music but its low end is a bit too heavy for monitoring purpose, HD650 is too dark in the high end while Beyer is too trebly....

Lastly, I see so many people having/debating among high end modelers but was super careless choosing their playback system, using cheap PAs or cheap headphone, which IMHO is totally wrong budgeting... :)

Toowoombaus and tvegas99 like this.
  17. Pat6969

What does Michael Jackson have to do with this?

18. MoonBoy

MoonBoy Member

Out of interest, which ones are you using?

19. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Supporting Member

I really like mine. I am struggling a bit to get the clean tones I'm looking for. I am certain its me picking the wrong everything to get it done but I should be able to get some Fenderish tones from an Ibanez and the III. I still have a ton of presets to go through. Mostly I hear those tones on YT lessons and Im sure the guy has a 2 so, I dont know how much more Im gonna notice once I find that on the III.

Wallimanns tone here is pretty sweet. I dont know if he has a III yet.

20. MoonBoy

MoonBoy Member

He has a III, it's under the Torpedo (look at 1:59 for example) and it's clearly on while he's playing the examples.

Dickie Fredericks likes this.