blown cap in my champ clone - scared the hell out of me - photo!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Profklamen, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Profklamen

Profklamen Supporting Member

I just changed the speaker in my champ clone - and I removed, then replaced the tubes to get clearance for the speaker. When I turned it on it had a strong hum. I turned it off, opened it up and looked around. Everything looked OK so I turned it on again. After about 3 seconds POP! It appears that one of the small 25/25 caps exploded.

Anyone know what would cause this?[​IMG] I'm guessing that the pins of either the power tube or the rectifier tube were not aligned when I replaced them.

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Maybe the tubes weren't in the right sockets?

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Yeah, either you swapped the rectifier for one of the power tubes or one of the power tubes is shorted. There's always a "cause" for the "effect".

4. Profklamen

Profklamen Supporting Member

I think I had the 6v6 pins out of alignment. I've noticed that it goes into the socket in about four different ways. I think the guide tab in the middle must be a bit shallow or something.

I had my nose about a foot away when it went off. About as loud as a firecracker.

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Yep, a misaligned 6V6 could do that. When you find the correct orientation, mark the back of the base with Whiteout (or something similar) so you'll know the proper orientation in the future.

You may have also killed that tube in this process.

6. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

Yes, happened to me...it normally takes out a resister on the tube socket. I think the one I replaced was a 470

7. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

We used to do that in electronics class in High School. Insert the leads for a cap in a switched 110 outlet and then when the unsuspecting person walked by hit the switch. Just like a firecracker. It's amazing we survived some of the stupid stuff we did.

8. mojo2001

mojo2001 Member

Happy Chinese New Year!!

9. bizzwriter

bizzwriter Member

Not exactly related, but our big trick in high school auto shop class was to charge up a distributor condenser (capacitor) and leave it on the shop table where the new kid in class was going to sit. Invariably, he would pick it up and get "bit." :crazy

10. straticus

straticus Member

Happened to me too. My amp started to hum. Got louder and louder and POP! and a little puff of smoke came out of the back of my amp.

It was an easy fix but.........Yep, it can be a bit scary when that happens. Thankfuly, it was at practice, not at a gig. I got a back up amp after that.:)